• You are not logged in.

Windows 8 & MSKLC Layouts

• Started by pafkata90
    • 2 Replies:

I recently got a new machine with Windows 8 and started up with installing my custom Colemak layout and my own Bulgarian layout which I've created with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. The Colemak layout installed and is running fine with the little quirk that it doesn't have a preview in the "input methods" screen. The Bulgarian is installing as well and also doesn't have a preview, but it doesn't show in my language bar – as if it's not set at all. MSKLC isn't supported and isn't running well on Windows 8 so I'm using another laptop with Windows 7 to edit the layouts.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it work or any alternative solutions? The only other option I could think of is using AHK but it'd be better to fix the installation file.

PS: While I can't get MSKLC to work properly, I somehow managed to make my custom keyboard to work. For anyone with similar issue: I think it worked after I installed the display language for Windows for Bulgarian. Then installed the layout and restarted quite a few times and at some point it worked. I was just about to start messing with the registry.

Last edited by pafkata90 (25-Jul-2013 13:09:08)

Interesting. Win8 changes the language/locale handling a bit, and this phenomenon seems to be a result of that.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

This is exactly why I avoided windows 8. I just got a new machine but opted for windows 7 to be installed instead of 8 because I knew there would be issues.