• You are not logged in.

Speed Advantages of Colemak

• Started by glaba
    • 2 Replies:

I'm quite a fast typer on QWERTY; I average around 140 wpm. So, I was wondering, if I switch to Colemak, will I experience significant advantages in speed? It would make sense, since your fingers have to move a lot less, but many other threads mention only a slight increase in speed, if any increases exists at all! Will switching to Colemak help me type faster?

You will type a bit faster (5-10wpm gain for me), but much more comfortable. You can type for longer time without being tired.

Like comparison between a 1978 Ford and 2013 Ford. You will drive at the same speed in urban city areas, but you will feel more comfortable inside a new, up-to-date car.

Last edited by Tony_VN (28-Aug-2013 07:53:48)

Loving that comparison, Tony! Comfort and "safety" are as important as raw speed for "type racers". ;)

It's uncertain whether the speed increase everybody seem to be getting from switching to Colemak is in fact due to the layout itself or the training that inevitably comes from switching and training with the new layout. But I too became ~10 WPM faster after a while with Colemak than with Dvorak and ~10 WPM faster with Dvorak than with QWERTY. Nowadays I'm even faster. Then again, my QWERTY speeds were in the mid-50 WPM range which isn't much on these fora. ;)

Being such a fast typer you would experience frustration for sure. I think it'd be worth it – if you can pull through. Not sure whether something like Tarmak (see my sig topics) could help with the pains of switching? For such a fast typist lots of words are learned as "gestalts" which will be broken no matter how gently you try to switch. If you're interested enough it'll be worth it but don't expect it to be very easy!

Other fast typists have become fast with Colemak quite easily. Look up Ryan Heise's switching experience for instance. Micah Wine did similarly well.

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Aug-2013 09:00:45)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***