• You are not logged in.

My experience learning Colemak...

• Started by UltraZelda64
    • 18 Replies:

I originally posted about my initial post-Dvorak experience with Colemak in the following topic:

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1627

Unfortunately, problems came my way and, long story short, I was stuck without a real computer or keyboard at all for about three weeks.  The time after that I mostly focused on regaining my Dvorak speed (happened quickly) and then regaining my original QWERTY speed in Dvorak (which I pretty much have--after only about four months).  I do still plan on increasing my Dvorak speed further; however, I have practically reached my original goal, so I think it's about time to really shift the gears a bit.

I haven't forgotten about Colemak at all during this time; in fact, every couple days (occasionally even weekly) I would switch the layout and try doing a few typing tests.  This is, obviously, primarily so I keep the basic layout fresh in my mind.  It's just that within the last day or two, I noticed that I was doing surprisingly good.

Anyway, I have been practicing on hi-games.net.  My current speed is... well, all over the place, really.  I am able to do short bursts in the 40s range and even higher, but more often my speed seems to start off in the mid- to high-30s and taper off to the low- to mid-20s by the end.  I have been able to finish a two-minute test at around 25 WPM... which is definitely a step up from the time of my last post.  Still, 20-40 WPM... that's pretty slow, but I'd say relatively acceptable.

I still seem to be retaining my Dvorak and Colemak skills in separate "memory banks" in my brain for the most part, just as I intended, and I am capable of switching between the two at will.  Very cool, it's going along exactly as planned!

Note: Previously, I actually used KTouch with the Colemak lesson and its onscreen keyboard to get the layout back in my memory those few times I lost it just enough that my accuracy was shot.  Doing this for just a couple minutes was all it took to bring it back.  This has not been necessary lately, so I can just get to typing or practicing on hi-games.net.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (15-Apr-2013 00:55:42)

Keeping both Colemak and Dvorak at the same time? Your brain must be good at multitasking.

Actually, I'm just proceeding extremely cautiously, and have been right from the start, since it was my goal from the beginning to try to get good at both.  The "key" is to not overload your mind by practicing so hard on new layout that you begin mixing the keys up in the other layout (the one that you already know).

When I learned Dvorak, for example, I went all-out... I tried to learn too much, too fast, and by the time I got through the mega-confusion from all the changed keys and could finally type halfway decently in Dvorak, my QWERTY skills were already rusty.  No doubt that of what's left of my QWERTY memory, some of it is being put to use as stepping stones to learning Colemak.

Also, the fact that I just learned and switched to another layout as of only about four months ago means that the experience is fresh in my mind so I knew what to expect this time.  I would therefore be able to use the knowledge gained from this experience to prepare for and plan my method of learning a secondary layout in such a way that is least-damaging to the layout I already know.  Or at least, that was my theory.  It seems to be holding true for the most part though... so far.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (15-Apr-2013 07:04:43)

Note to self: Do NOT dive right into Colemak immediately after waking up.  That's a recipe for disaster and total (temporary) mindfsck.

Lesson learned. :)

It is still early in the day and I am only on my first caffeine fix for the day (Dr Pepper), but so far my Colemak speed is much more reliably around 25 WPM after a few 45-second tests on hi-games.net.  Not sure exactly how things will work out later today or tonight, but if somehow I start making additional progress I'll post it.

Next goal:  Consistent ~30 WPM results.

I also need to memorize more common multiple-letter sequences.  So far I am getting faster at finding individual letters when I need them, but it really seems to be the two-, three-, and even four-letter sequences that speed up typing.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (15-Apr-2013 21:58:11)

Yep, step by step, it's all coming ;)

I took a break from practicing yesterday because it was just a bad day for typing.  I was doing pathetic in both Dvorak and Colemak.  I started up again today and my ability to type in both layouts seems to have been restored.  My average in Colemak for today seems to be somewhere from 25-30 WPM in the 45-second test.  30 WPM does not seem to be too difficult to achieve at this point, with a bit of concentration and luck I seem to be able to get it.  Now... continuing on to make 30 WPM my minimum speed...

You trooper, you. ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I think I've struck my first major hurdle.  My speed is still all over the place, anywhere from the low- to high-20s and sometimes low 30s.  I've been stuck here for the last few days, although I have reached higher than 30 WPM a few times.  I haven't been so lucky lately; the typos are catching up with me as is the confusion of trying to remember where all the keys are.  Yet, those times I can go by without these problems I seem to be able to sustain speeds in the 30s (until screwing up).  It might be at least several days before I see any real progress.

I think at this time, you might want to go back to a tutor, and do the agonisingly boring drills of say one row at a time, to reinforce those key mappings.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I don't know; when learning Dvorak similar things happened, and it eventually corrected itself by just keeping on going.  I think it is partly caused by my mind thinking that I can type faster than I actually can, as a result of the speed-ups I have made.  Basically, impatience.  Could also be having some bad days affecting my progress--never know.  I don't know how the rest of the day will turn out, but I just woke up and a quick 30-second test resulted in 30 WPM with relatively few errors.  I think it's just a phase that will disappear after some time, as it did when learning Dvorak.

You can try this: write down some notes that remind you how to type better – purely subjectively, focusing on accuracy. Sounds very silly but this is what worked for me when I was starting. I would start typing in Typeracer and after one good race I would just start making mistakes – possibly out of impatience, as you say. So I wrote a note on my computer and looked at it when I started typing sloppily. You don't actually need to type it down, you can just make a mental note, of course. So here's what I had in my OneNote notebook:

– Keep accuracy above 98% (that's just for motivation at the end, try to see the number 98, even if I typed slower)
    – Type fluently, don't do sudden bursts on common words that I know how to type with one roll.
    – Keep my hands on place and try to stretch my fingers rather than moving the whole palms around – this sounds awful but I noticed it helped with my accuracy. It's just a matter of starting to do it, keep my accuracy high for a while, then relax and go to my normal way of typing while keeping error-free
    – force myself to use both backspaces rationally depending on the next letter. That's usually handled well by the brain by itself but I found it good to force myself sometimes to consciously think which backspace is better. The right one can be pressed quicker in succession but the left one could be more beneficial in other situations. Also pressing both twice deletes 4 characters for the time it would take to delete only 2 if I used just one of them. Anyway, too much details...

These, as you can see, are so subjective and most probably wouldn't work the same way for you or anyone else, but you see the idea. Figure out some "rules" that help you guide yourself on how to type better – be it accuracy (probably is), rhythm, hand position, etc. Then look at them and try to follow them until you're happy with the result and slowly start raising the speed.

I remember that when things were very bad with accuracy I would intentionally force myself to type slower for a while while my hands start typing without the constant mistake interruptions, then slowly raising the speed.

Last edited by pafkata90 (21-Apr-2013 20:12:32)

Some very good tips, pafkata90.  I recall trying at least some of those ideas when I was learning Dvorak, but so far I've found that the best method is to just try to slow down and actually think (your suggestions pretty much lead to that outcome).  That's the hard part, because on the other hand I just want to type quickly without thinking... but until I've built up a decent muscle memory, that's impossible without lots of typos.

I have actually tried to use the optimal backspace key whenever possible, but the problem is, when I go for speed I just can't seem to do it.  I tend to go the path of least thinking and quickest/easiest movement, which is to just hit the caps lock backspace key.  At least, this was a problem with Dvorak, because during the learning stages I decided to take advantage of the caps-as-backspace to make the learning process a bit less painful.  I literally lost that ability with Dvorak when I hit maybe 40-45 WPM... I might be able to pull that off in Colemak for now.  Then again, I might need more practice just to be able to make better predictions.

The "don't do sudden bursts" tip is definitely one that I think could help.  I did that a bit here and there with Dvorak, not very much, but when I did it definitely seemed to help.  Like I said, forcing yourself to type slower is the hardest part... but it really is probably the most helpful thing to do.

pafkata90 said:

Keep accuracy above 98% (that's just for motivation at the end, try to see the number 98, even if I typed slower)

I've been aiming for 98% as well.  And I've seen others suggest similarly.  But why this number in particular?  Ideally we should aim for 100, but when I tried http://play.typeracer.com/?universe=accuracy, it was infuriating.  Does 99%+ sacrifice too much speed?

It's just based on a feeling of what's most efficient, somewhat backed by data.

Less than 98% and we feel that errors hurt efficiency (and the net typing speed largely confirms this), but as you say it can be infuriating to aim for more and then the exercise itself may hurt efficiency – both perceived and measurable.

But it's still just a rule of thumb. I haven't seen any actual scientific studies of it.

I remember Gtypist being such a hard task master, in terms of accuracy, it was grueling, but hopefully it paid off for me in the long run.

When I was a couple of days into learning a new layout and touch typing.  It felt so slow and difficult.  At about 3am one morning I literally just tried to let go (and use the force,) and just threw myself at the keyboard with reckless abandon.  And in someway it helped momentarily, I cruised all the lessons in Ktouch.  Though mistakes were a plenty.  I think the next day I regressed, but I was pretty pleased with myself at the time.  I probably over did it.

Klavaro touch typing software, breaks practice into distinct areas: basics (teaching you the layout, row by row), adaptability (random chars/keys), speed (random words) and fluidity.  The speed exercise is less concerned about accuracy (95% with no error correction), whereas the fluidity exercises want a good rhythm and accuracy of at least 97%.  I like the mix, and each feel very different.

Gtypist insisted that I was accurate before moving onto the next exercise, and that could be agonizing.  In the end you were forced to take it slow and steady, else boredom would completly and utterly set in.  I can't remember that being fun.

Perhaps a mild electric shock upon an error would increase accuracy (kids don't try that at home)?   My system beep is pretty ugly - and feels like a jolt in itself.  Or possibly practice next to a sleeping partner, and give yourself good reason not to make a mistake - for fear of the wrath of waking them.

Forcing you to correct your errors, does encourage you slightly to do better, as otherwise it's a burden as you end up having to type more.  It's just particulary grueling when starting out.  The Klavaro speed exercise let's you type through your mistakes.   Though it can feel a little wrong!

Perhaps with regard to having two backspaces, just force yourself to use a different hand at a time for a while,  I've done that with the space bar,  once you are adept with it,  you can fall back to using both hands, you might find then that you'll naturally use the one that feels better.

I can't seem to get myself into the habit of using CTRL+Backspace, to delete a word backwards, in someways I'd be tempted to change that shortcut to not require a simultaneous key press.  It's quicker to type sometimes than to backspace a character at a time - then retype.  Navigation becomes the slowest part.  Being able to navigate faster (perhaps with a  mod), could really help there.   I'm not sure whether these further tweaks warrant learning as early as possible, or whether they just complicate matters.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I don't think it's the number of key presses since I find Caps+T+O a comfortable way of hitting Ctrl+Back. I think it's the dual pinky stretch involved. Having to move both hands outwards, even stretching the pinkys and bending the wrists in the process, isn't nice at all.

Don't let your sleeping partner suffer for your typing addiction! Nothing good will come of that, mark my words. ;)

Surely the dulcet tones of the model m can only help in giving (some)one a good night's sleep?

Last edited by pinkyache (23-Apr-2013 10:29:11)

--

Sure, if by good night's sleep you mean me, on the couch! ;)

I hate to bump this back up when I don't know how much more practice I'll be able to put into Colemak in the coming weeks, but here's an update.

I have been doing 30-second and 1:45 typing tests the last several days at hi-games.net.  My speed seems to be 35-40 WPM briefly in the 1:45 test, typically tapering down to 30 or so, only occasionally a couple WPM lower.  My capability to correct mistakes is much faster than the last time I posted, and I seem to be able to do slightly longer runs without thinking about where the key is.  It seems that the confusion over keys has mostly went away since my break, and my accuracy has actually gone up from what I remember as well.  My 30-second tests tend to be in the mid-30s WPM range.

I have gone through a long period when I had to pause practice due to life getting in the way (about four months based on this topic's original post date), but once I resumed it seemed that my previous skills were intact and my speed was quickly resumed.  I might be reaching another of those times already, unfortunately... not sure yet. :/

In fact, my 1:45 test record is actually Colemak (although my profile is set to Dvorak), as I decided to use that test for specifically for Colemak practice for the time being:
    http://hi-games.net/typing-test,105/watch?u=6657

Before I started practicing again, my record for the above test was 25 or 26 WPM.  So... a 4-5 WPM gain... IMO not bad, especially for a longer test.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (02-Sep-2013 21:54:21)