• You are not logged in.

Mavis Beacon with Colemak

• Started by johne
    • 10 Replies:

Hi,

I have been using Colemak for around a couple of years now, and wanting to improve my accuracy. I install Colemak using PKL. I have been using Amphetype to type out some books, but it find that I am still typing at around 98% and 50 wpm.

I was reading that Mavis Beacon might be useful for helping to improve my accuracy and speed. Is it possible to use Mavis Beacon with Colemak? I would guess that the on-screen diagrams of where to put your fingers will be QWERTY, but that's not a problem, since I touch-type. I really want to know if:

a. Mavis Beacon will actually work with Colemak, that I install using PKL.
    b. Mavis Beacon will be useful for helping me to improve my accuracy, and then hopefully my speed. I guess this is somewhat subjective, but I wonder if anyone could give their feedback on whether this has helped them to break through the current block I seem to have reached.

Thanks in advance,
    JohnE

@johne

You have decent accuracy for high speed typing. The tricky thing is how to type fast with less mistakes.

My advice is practice 30 to 60 minutes of session exclusively high speed typing in mind once a day or twice. Long hours, when the body or mind is exhausted, did little help to me.

When I'm serious about typing I usually do close my eyes and come down   the mind for 5 to 10 seconds after each race.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

I haven't used Mavis but TypingMaster. That program is very QWERTY-centric which makes it less than ideal for the initial lessons but it's great for training accuracy at least later on.

Since your accuracy is so good already I suppose it's really only a matter of time and typing a lot before your speed bumps up though. I'd just find a few books I want to read anyway and type through them with Amphetype if I were you.

The standard fingering and touch methods taught by tutors are actually a bit outdated. This is how I prefer to do the fingering (plus a Wide mod; see my Big Bag topic if you're interested):

Cmk-ISO-eD-Angle_90d-FingerShui.png
       An ISO (105-key) keyboard using Colemak with [eD] AltGr mappings, Angle mod (XZCVB_) and my fingering

Also, if you can get your hands on Typing Of The Dead you're in for a bundle of joy. ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (12-Mar-2013 09:26:58)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Any typing program would be good. I use Typeracer, Typing Tutor and Amphetype.

For accuracy, I use Typeracer accuracy universe. This website require 100% accuracy, so it is quite challenging at first.
    http://play.typeracer.com/?universe=accuracy

@johne, Mavis Beacon had some support for Dvorak, but it went then returned.

I'm not sure if that support went beyond familiarising the layout.

I found a link that explains how to set up custom lessons in Mavis Beacon.

Lessons can be shared (imported and exported). There may well already be some Colemak practice lessons floating about.  The program uses the '.mcq' file extension for these.

It does make me think though, that it would be good to have to have a central resource or place to exchange practice texts.

A promiscuous license would be nice to accompany such lessons.  And having the raw texts might be better then developing for one program such as Mavis.

I've noticed that many open source typing tutors appear to recycle input texts.  And it would be great if the texts were crafted to purpose a particular layout.

Last edited by pinkyache (17-Mar-2013 00:38:11)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I used 'aTypeTrainer4Mac" since I use Colemak on OSX and it was helpful.

My only complaint is that I would have liked to have the keyboard graphic look like a Kinesis Advantage!

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

DreymaR said:

Also, if you can get your hands on Typing Of The Dead you're in for a bundle of joy. ;)

Good news!  Typing of the Dead: Overkill on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/

Last edited by lilleyt (01-Nov-2013 13:10:20)

Minimak - Better typing without losing QWERTY
    http://www.minimak.org/

lilleyt said:
    DreymaR said:

Good news!  Typing of the Dead: Overkill on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/

That game is... interesting to say the least. Picked it up since I very much enjoyed the original, but after playing through three levels I'm not sure I really want to continue. I'm fine with swearing, do so myself on occasion, but TotD:O takes that to a whole new level, being offensive for the sake of being offensive. Not to mention the annoying-as-can-be narrator. At least the original was in "so bad it's good" territory... this one is just bad ;)

Allow me to offer a different point of view on increasing your typing speed. When I first learned to type, I actually used Mavis Beacon in school. The only thing that I really remember is that it was easy to cheat on (would you believe that I can type 512wpm with 95% accuracy?). It was helpful for learning, and I was soon typing at 60wpm.

That being said, I don't think typing software is necessary to increase your typing speed. if you type a lot anyway, you can just work practice into your normal stuff. A few years ago, I reached a plateau of around 70wpm. I didn't get any faster for a long time. Then I read somewhere that often when it comes to certain skills like typing speed, once you reach a level you're comfortable with, you plateau and don't get any better because you are no longer actively focusing on improving. The recommendation was to consciously focus on your typing speed by typing faster than you are comfortable with in order to progress past the plateau. I can only speak for myself, but I attribute my subsequent gains (about 30wpm) to this technique. Also, I think it's important to try to move your fingers as little as possible instead of hitting the keys hard and rapidly when trying to type faster.

As for accuracy, I don't know how well this works, but whenever I make a mistake, I delete the whole word (ctrl+backspace) and then retype it. I read somewhere that this ensures that you're not developing the habit of making a mistake on a particular word but have to type it correctly to move on. These two techniques aren't very hard to incorporate into typing I do every day and seem to have worked well for me (especially during my switch to colemak). I think that even people who progress a little slower than some can make gains this way.

Keyboard also has an effect. A mechanical keyboard might help with speed too.

> would you believe that I can type 512wpm with 95% accuracy?

No ;)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

> would you believe that I can type 512wpm with 95% accuracy?

No ;)

Then that's the difference between you and Mavis Beacon ;P