• You are not logged in.

System Tray Switcher?

• Started by LisaM
    • 4 Replies:

I stumbled across this site today and am intruiged.  I started Dvorak about 1 1/2 years ago when I broke my finger so my typing was shot to heck anyway.  I still struggle with muscle memory of qwerty but I can no longer type qwerty.

I have gotten used to the idea of the copy/cut/paste being moved, but it certainly has slowed me down. 

But, here is my question.  I have Dvorak Assistant which runs in my system tray allowing me to switch easily the entire computer to qwerty and dvorak.  It's nice because my husband and son are qwerty typers but I sometimes sit at their computers.  I also carry the program around on a memory stick so at work I can switch a computer easily for meetings.

Is there such a thing for the Colemak?  Or are their plans to do something like this?  I don't like that XP only toggles the current app, I prefer to do the entire system. 

Thanks in advance!

• Shai
    • Administrator

If you're using Windows XP, the recommended way for dealing with this is to set a different user for every person that uses the computer, and then use the Fast User Switching feature to switch between users. Any application or file that needs to be accessed by everyone can be put in shared folders (e.g. "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users") or installed for all users.

I'd suggest contacting the author of DVAssist asking to fully support any keyboard layout. You can also say that this will help people using the various Dvorak international variants.

Please note that when you run DVAssist it uninstalls all keyboard layouts including Colemak, therefore I don't recommend using it.

Another alternative is to install Colemak as an AutoHotkey script. When AHK is running, it puts an icon into your system tray, and right-clicking the system tray icon shows a context menu with "Pause Script" as an option. While the script is paused, QWERTY presses will be passed straight through to the system, instead of remapped by AHK. And naturally, this is a per-script option, which makes it effectively system global.

You'll lose the international features that are a part of the full Colemak layout, but for basic A-Z remapping AHK works very well.

Therax said:

Another alternative is to install Colemak as an AutoHotkey script. When AHK is running, it puts an icon into your system tray, and right-clicking the system tray icon shows a context menu with "Pause Script" as an option. While the script is paused, QWERTY presses will be passed straight through to the system, instead of remapped by AHK. And naturally, this is a per-script option, which makes it effectively system global.

You'll lose the international features that are a part of the full Colemak layout, but for basic A-Z remapping AHK works very well.

I also use the AHK on other people's PCs, but on my personal laptop, I just use the .reg key to change permanently to Colemak without the need of installing or using any software.

BTW, the "Pause Script" doesn't work for me, but "Suspend Script" does work, not sure if it is just my version though.

Last edited by AGK (18-Jun-2007 21:55:32)

You're not the only one, AGK. The pause script doesn't work for me either.