• You are not logged in.

One month of cold turkey

• Started by morecoffeeplease
    • 4 Replies:

So far, it's been terrific. I touch-typed on QWERTY for 10+ years (well since I was in junior high, so around age 12ish) and averaged about 85-90wpm. I switched on October 19, and switched everything to Colemak -- my phone and computer. I also switched from hitting the space bar with only my right thumb to using only my left (just for fun). For the first two weeks, I practiced 30 minutes a day by doing the lessons on learncolemak.com, and then by typing the alphabet as fast as I could a couple times. After two weeks, I was able to average 50wpm, but my accuracy wasn't too great (about 97% most of the time). A member on this board (Tony I think) said that people learning Colemak should focus on accuracy first, and that the speed would come later on. I thought the exact opposite, and wanted to get back to my QWERTY speed as quickly as possible. I started using Amphetype to track my progress, and for the next week or so, kept trying to increase my speed. However, I could still only average about 60wpm. I decided to test out the "accuracy first, speed second" method, as I decided to be more patient. My goal was 99% accuracy, no matter the speed. At first, I saw my speed drop drastically. However, now that I was thinking about each keystroke (I stopped confusing r-s, d-g, o-i), I quit making the mistakes that I normally made. About a week of this, I'm now back to averaging almost 65wpm, all the while maintaining about 99% accuracy. I wonder how long it'll take to get back to my old QWERTY speed.

gNmldNf.png

WB0sO12.png

You can kind of see how as I focused on accuracy (a little past the half-way point on the graphs), my speed dropped, but then gradually increased again. For anybody learning Colemak, I do suggest putting accuracy first (Tony was correct)! That way, you get into good habits early on, and most likely learn quicker.

Last edited by morecoffeeplease (22-Nov-2013 04:13:59)

Don't push yourself too hard. You drive a car by handling the wheel, not by going out and pushing it with all your might.

You'll likely get your Qwerty speed in around 80-90 days or so. The speed curve is a log curve, so the faster your speed, the slower it improves.

Last edited by Tony_VN (22-Nov-2013 08:31:29)

That is true. I've since given up on trying to be one of those guys who reaches their old speed in like, 10 days. I don't think I was ever that accurate of a typer on QWERTY, and now that I've only been focusing on my accuracy, hopefully I'll be able to match and surpass my QWERTY speed in a few months.

You are right. When you don't care about your speed, your speed will certainly improve, at its own leisurely pace.

Last edited by Tony_VN (22-Nov-2013 12:04:40)

For improving accuracy, I suggest Typeracer Death mode

http://play.typeracer.com/?universe=accuracy

Tip for this site: You should try Practice instead of Typing Race, so you don't have to wait 10 seconds.

This site requires 100% accuracy, so it's very tough at the start for Backspace lovers. But that's what typing should be.

Before computer age, it's very costly to replace the papers in the typewriters, so every typists are trained to get almost 99.9% accuracy.

Last edited by Tony_VN (29-Nov-2013 03:10:39)