• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • How to ensure Colemak catches on, and catches on quickly.

How to ensure Colemak catches on, and catches on quickly.

• Started by Jay Walker
    • 6 Replies:

I used to work with kids with learning disabilities, working directly on their underlying cognitive problems, by making them work extremely hard, on a gently-stepped program. The program I worked with works, unlike tutoring which doesn't directly tackle the problem. Many of their learning disabilities completely disappeared.

In my opinion, one reason Dvorak never caught on, is the same reason that many learning disabled kids fail in the school system. The cognitive steps to get from here to there are too large. Once they are broken into separate thinking skills, worked on, then they can get back to climbing up the academic ladder.

Dvorak failed, I think, because too many people had already learned Qwerty and weren't willing to spend the time to try another layout. They still needed to be somewhat productive at work, they couldn't go from 40WPM to 10WPM. It's a deal-breaker, at least it was for me, as a dropped my attempt after a while. I suspect many others tried and did too, or simply looked at the keyboard - so foreign and said "forget it". Colemak at least has the advantage of looking somewhat familiar.

So, the question remains of how to get from here to there: quickly. Without the deal-killing dramatic productivity decline, or working on this for 1-2 hours a day (personal time, hello!, or should I say, "goodbye!") for the next couple of months.

What I'm suggesting is a series of keyboard layouts, courtesy the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, that take you from a Qwerty to a Colmak, over a series of, say, five lessons (keyboards) or so. With sufficient productivity retained that one can still work at work and, effectively, get paid to learn the new layout.

So I have set up five lessons/keyboards, that never move more than four qwerty keys around at a single time, and get you to a Colemak keyboard at lesson five. I am going to try learning that way. I am willing to share these templates with the site administrator if desired (send me an email). As an alternative, you can go to Microsoft and download the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, as I did today, and create your own.

Here are the qwerty keys I replaced each time:

First template: replaced qwerty keys U, I, L, with the appropriate Colemak keys (which are the same letters anyhow, just different positions).

Second template: replaced qwerty keys E, J, K, N, with the appropriate Colemak keys. Note that you need to find a dummy place to put the "J" for a few lessons: I used the "~/`" key (to the far left of the number "1" key).

Third template: replaced qwerty key F, and "blanked out" the existing "G" qwerty key. Filled in the Colemak G & T space. "keys. "J" retained in dummy place (see above).

Fourth template: replaced the qwerty keys of Y, O, ; (semi-colon), (and leave the old qwerty "D" blank). Complete with the appropriate Colemak keys and filled in all other existing blank (except Qwerty D) keys.  The replacement keys should be Colemak keys, J, Y, D and O. In the dummy position, the semi-colon key ";" is placed.

Fifth template: Use your new Colemak keyboard in it's entirety. This final step replaces qwerty letters r,s,d and completes P, ; (semi-colon), R and S to their proper Colemak positions.

Although I'm sure someone more dedicated than me may be able to figure out a slightly more elegant layout (or maybe not!), I think this gets you from "A" to "B" (Qwerty to Colemak) on company time, without an extreme productivity loss. After which you could ask your boss for a raise, because of your superior productivity and reduced RSI!

It also avoids the dreaded "typing lesson" method of learning which, let's face it, most Qwerty keyboarders didn't learn how to type that way either. They learned on company time, or as a youth at home.

That's it! I think many could learn the new Colemak in about 10 weeks (two weeks per template/lesson) with decent productivity retained at work. I wouldn't aim to get 100% of old speed before moving to the next lesson, but maybe get up to 60-80% of original qwerty speed and then move to the next template/lesson.

I hope this idea works for all ... come and visit me, over at The Confused Capitalist, where I recently wrote up Colemak.

http://confusedcapitalist.blogspot.com

Jay Walker
    The Confused Capitalist

• Shai
    • Administrator

It's not a good solution for a few reasons:
    * It would multiply the amount of keyboard layouts by 5. It would mean recreating the images, the installation, for each operating system, for each implementation, the typing tutorials...
    * There is no clean solution, and it requires many more overall changes. Besides the first step, none of the other steps are self contained, and moving one key requires moving a chain of others. Such a solution would actually take longer to learn.
    * Such a solution would pretty much assure that people won't be able to switch back to QWERTY if they'd wanted to, and they'll have a mix of various versions of keyboard layouts in their head.

Hi Shai,

Thanks for your interest in my suggestion. One correction, before I discuss some of your criticisms of my suggestion.

The correction is to what I suggested for one template; the second template should have the qwerty "F" key left blank.

With all due respect, I think the reason that most of these alternative keyboard layouts don't catch on is that the steps are too large.  Despite the obvious superiority of many, many, layouts (of which Colemak is only one alternative), NONE have every caught on.  I believe it's because (as has been pointed out here) that too many keys are moved on some iterations for minimal improvement (something the Colemak is designed to counter, yes) AND because the leap is still too large.

With the exception of the keys held in a "dummy position", once the Colemak key "moves in", it never moves after that.  And it actually only takes four different boards, since the final one (the fifth iteration) is your final Coleman board.

Colemak - despite some advantages - is STILL a large SINGLE leap for many people. Enough to be problematic, I think.

Furthermore, this solution is designed to avoid the whole "typing tutorial" nightmare - it might be hard to believe, but many people hate that method of learning anything, and I suspect most qwerties didn't learn their own typing that way. This solution is designed that people can use it on the job, immediately.

As to trying to ensure people can switch back to qwerty - why would you even want that?  Let Colemak rule the world, and leave Qwerty to the luddities.

Anyway, I'm not going to defend the idea any longer. I think it has great merit based on my own personal experience and knowledge of learning styles. So, I'm simply going to try it and report out later.

Thanks for your feedback - it's always helpful to improve an idea or product.

Jay Walker
    The Confused Capitalist

An interesting thought. No idea how it'll pan out in practice; keep us posted on your experiences.  :)

Shai's critique(s) may or may not be valid. The first one is a minor one at any rate: The "Walker method" need not be the official, only way to convert to Colemak. It could easily be offered as an alternative for interested learners, if it turns out to work okay. Nothing wrong with that. As to how confusing it is to switch a few keys at a time versus going the whole mile at once - without testing, it's hard to say really, isn't it?

What I do dislike about your initial attempt, is:
    - Intuitively, I'd think that the E key needs moving in the very first round. It's so common that it's both easy to learn because you get to use the new position a lot, and hard because it's already been used so much in the wrong position. (I freely refer to the QWERTY "E" position as the "wrong" position, as I'm sure everyone must agree with no matter where they're coming from!) Since its QWERTY position is so horrible, it needs moving immediately, which should also inspire the convertite once the benefits are felt.

- The concept of a dummy position is an awkward one, even if J is a relatively rare letter. This is what'd put me off doing it your way, because I'm a perfectionist and learning an irrelevant key position in order to arrive at a new one later is just too unaesthetical for my mindset. This is not rationally based, so some amount of evidence that this method works well might convince me. But I'm a scientist and try to have a flexible mind - others might just be put off and never give it a second thought? I'm not sure how it could be done differently though. It's a cabal for sure.

- You might try to reduce the number of intermediate boards. I'd think that a mix of common and rare keys in each change step would be optimal, and then I'm sure you could do more than just four at a time favourably. Three intermediate boards should be the absolute maximum I'd think.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Jul-2007 11:48:45)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi DreymaR,

I agree the dummy concept is awkward, but I couldn't seem to make it work (keeping a limited number of keys moving) without it. According to the scottbyrce site on cryptograms, "J" is the third least used letter in English (0.16%, barely ahead of q and z).

I'm not sure about moving more than four or so keys at once (or less than four intermediate boards); having taught kids with learning disabilities I like the idea of mastery of small steps, rather than fumbling around with larger steps for longer. Experience suggests to me that, overall, movement is more rapid when steps are smaller, even if there are a larger number of them. Plus there's the psychological thing that people know they are moving forward - this isn't to be underestimated either. So I have some resistance to the idea of more than four letters. Even then, for example, template two actually moves five letters, if you count 'J' moving into the dummy position. But I suppose that for some people, fewer templates would work better.

You could, for instance, combine the GT move (template Three) into either of the adjacent templates, and that would reduce the steps by one, and the number of interim templates to just three.

By my calculation, using the cryptogram numbers on Scott Bryce site (scottbryce.com), the Colemak moves 76.03% of the English letter usage (frequencies of letters in the English language). Using the suggested template design,  the steps break down as follows: Template One - moves 14.11%, Two - moves 22.57%, Three - 11.21%, Four 13.48%, Five (completion to the Colemak template) - 14.66%.

So Two is really the monster move, because it moves both E [12.51%], and N [7.09%]. Otherwise, most of the moves are relatively balanced, because they generally move one letter in the 6-9% range, plus some other lesser lights.

Your thoughts about 'E' are interesting and, I think, worthy of further consideration. You could of course start off with template Two and continue through to Five, with One becoming the completion template. The idea has some pluses and some minuses.  On the plus side, you get roughly 1/3 of the letter frequencies movement happening on the first template [22.57%/76.03%]. On the minus side, you get roughly 1/3 of the letter frequency movement happening on the very first template! (plus letter 'j' moved into a temporary position).

Generally, I like your 'E' idea, but don't think it quite works with the templates I created, the first step needs to be smaller, I think - not five letters and not 22%. But moving 'E' on the first template is probably an idea that should be explored more; but giving people an immediate taste of success is a design element that needs to be remembered - don't overwhelm them, especially at first.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts ...

Jay Walker
    The Confused Capitalist

Actually, based on my experiences, if I could move one to two keys only at a single time without having to "store" keys in dummy positions, I would. Because I'm pretty sure that'd be the fastest way to penetrate the Qwerty work market.

Unfortunately, that can't be done. Except for the UIL keys, there's no other direct to direct translation set.

JW

Hmmm, interesting as mentioned. I see the point of starting with U>I>L>u (where majuscle denotes a key that moves to the next position in the chain, and minuscle denotes a now vacant QWERTY position). I'm still unsure about the optimal way to change and I guess we're both interested in seeing some trials.  :)

I suppose the tilde should be put on an AltGr combo while its space is occupied? There are some apps that quarrel with this, particularly the Typing of the Dead typing game I've used much while learning. If this is a problem, I guess the tilde could always reside temporarily in whichever QWERTY position is open at the time. It needs to be somewhere for the occasions - albeit rare for many users - it is needed.

I made a few attempts at reducing the number of intermediate steps in a to my eyes acceptable way. Using my notation, first your method for direct comparison (let me know if I made any mistakes):

The Walker 5-step method:
    1) U>I>L>u
    2) E>K>N>J>~(temp)
    3) G>T>F>e
    4) D>g   J>Y>O>;>~(temp)
    5) ;>P>R>S>d

4-step Walker-esque:
    1) U>I>L>u
    2) E>K>N>J>~(temp)>e
    3) D>G>T>F>e  (~>d)
    4) J>Y>O>;>P>R>S>d

Again, it starts gently with the "perfect" loop, then the important E as far as it has to go to hit J which is rare enough to be messed with (if you want really short loops you could've stopped at K!), then one more step before rounding up the rest.

The idea would be that after a gentle start, a very effective 2nd step and a quite effective 3rd step you'll be starting to get the hang of things and also impatient to make "fourth base" and score the "home row run" - if you'll excuse the metaphor.  :)

Rounding up with a little bunch of mostly rare keys (and some common ones that at least only move a short way!) sounds acceptable to me. The "4-step" has the benefit of only using one temp placement, for the J (which I've come to accept as a good compromise). I feel that two temp placements is a lot.

An alternative:
    U>I>L>u
    E>K>N>J>Y>O>;>e(temp)
    T>F>e   (;>~)
    ;>P>R>S>D>G>t

I'm trying to give only the semicolon the "temp treatment". It's a punctuation sign and as such my mind views it differently. Steps 2) and 3) could be collapsed into one big important step, but then I feel it'd get too long and it'd be better to use the J for a temp key after all (keeping in mind that the step with the E in it constitutes a lot of usage):

1) U>I>L>u
    2) T>F>E>K>N>J>~(temp)>t
    3) J>Y>O>;>P>R>S>D>G>t

That's as compact as it gets I guess, and the main variation would be whether you use J or semicolon as temp which blows up either step 2) or 3) (I still think that the last step is best suited for a little extra weight). As I said, I'm not sure which is more important: Your wish to do small steps, or Shai's (and mine, mostly) wish to not have a lot of intermediate steps and several temp placements. Time may show, hmmm?

Either way: Best of luck trying it out!

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Jul-2007 09:09:03)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • How to ensure Colemak catches on, and catches on quickly.