• You are not logged in.

Christmas, "cold turkey"from Dvorak, day 2.

• Started by Dreyeth
    • 20 Replies:

My typing has become good enough to surf the internet and type out this post without too much stess.

So far I'm enjoying it,especially the fact that the linux layout I'm using has backspace defined as capslock and shift + shift
    as capslock by default.

and it automatically converts Xkb configurations to console ones.

I didn't realize that until having to reformat my installation because of removing a btrfs partition,
    that I didn't realize was involved in the boot process somehow (installed neither as / or /home),
    but was somehow still being utilized by grub for some reason as the root partition. (maybe
    it was one of those nights with sleep deprivation or I was smashed who knows, could
    also be something I don't understand about btrfs too).

So far its been a really fun switch but I don't really have a comment yet except "thank god" >_< the "F"
    key is in a different spot, and I never had a problem with the dvorak "L" (or any keys directly above the resting positions
    on the home row) except the pinky doesn't get used except for gripping much in real life so you just need to teach it some cordination,
    after that it feels strong for me.
    Having "D" and "H" on the inner home row over the a spot above the home row feels weird, since on dvorak
    "TH" was on the resting home row of strong fingers, and I felt getting started that inner home row ("D" and "H") is more un-natural then the upper row above the resting positions, agreeing with the author of workman.
    I like the symbol keys being in the QWERTY positions, better for typing the bad english I usually type,
    being easier to type more letters without the symbols I usually don't bother using, but still close enough
    incase real written english is important. >:)
    All in all I think this will turn out to be a more comfortable layout then I've been using.
    I could care less about the ZXCV keybinds I've never used in about 10-15 years of computing
    (right click menu copy and pasting has always been fast enough).
    Colemak and QWERTY symbols seem like they're in a better place for programming.
    The most used letter combos are really easy to type and it feels great. :)
    All in all I think I really like it, I'll probable repost in about a week.

Last edited by Dreyeth (30-Dec-2013 21:32:33)

Sites: Gnolls.org, agenda21.us, pleasuredome.org.uk

My dvorak speed is fairly fast but not as accurate as most, but I've never taken a test on it.

My experience with dvorak is that alot of the combos feel natural but a bunch of them don't
    and really grind the finger joints at really high typing speeds, I was noticing some
    finger joint pain and tingling from certain offenders I type regularly and fast,
    friends being a good example of something that strains all the joints when
    your trying to type it to fast almost ensuring all fingers will have to reach bad keys on
    the right hand, grinding the finger joints LRLRLR.

The "F" key alone might causing most of my problems, extreme lateral movement is bad,
    especially index to pinky.
    So far it seems that Colemak doesn't have some of the left to right extremes I've seen on Dv.
    Seems like fingers reach further better the  lower on the keyboard a key is,
    colemak "B" isn't really a issue like dvorak "F" is.

I decided to switch to see if it is better on this layout and to get better symbol key positions,
    especially most of the braces.

Last edited by Dreyeth (30-Dec-2013 06:12:01)

I'm a Dvorak user, and I've grown more and more irritated with F's placement (which is where Qwerty sites Y), I liked it at first.  I suspect that it could steer the hand too much in a bad way.

6 on the number row is also horrid, but less used.  I quite like having all the brackets grouped under Dvorak.  The top right of the keyboard is a little fuzzy and irritatating.  Qwerty and Colemak still throw a lot of glyphs on the right hand side.  Perhaps remedied with a layer or wide mod.

What inspired the test drive/switch over?

Last edited by pinkyache (30-Dec-2013 15:19:54)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I like the easier bracket ("[" and "]") access in colemak and qwerty rather than then the very top row placement.
    In qwerty / colemak all the programming brackets are close enough for easy enough regular use,
    slightly harder <> brackets (still easy enough) but easier [] brackets, and I can hit the () brackets without too much trouble,
    but Dvorak [] is way out of the way, for stuff like dictionaries, althouth = is now in a worse spot.

Dvoraks bad F key placement (index finger), heavy use of the right pinky and heavier right hand usage, seems
    to grind the right hand finger joints when typed fast.

Figured I'd give it a go and see if the few things that annoy me about Dvorak are better on Colemak,
    as well as it in "theory" is slightly more efficient then Dvorak, figured I'd give it a go.

I'd like to see a programmers colemak (might have to mod one for linux myself) come out,
    with atleasted inverted shift keys for 1 - 0.
    It'd would be much nicer if it was some "official spec" though, be alot more likely
    to get into stuff out of the box.

Last edited by Dreyeth (30-Dec-2013 21:55:01)

If you check out my xkb stuff (see my sig) you'll see that I view Colemak as a module in the landscape of keyboard layout improvements. Its concern is the letter block (including semicolon as that's mixed up in there from QWERTY). What you do with the symbols is really up to you I feel.

I prefer using the US symbol layout, also when programming. The Extend mod is far more important for that purpose.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

After using Colemak for a year, I still haven't made any progress with it in terms of accuracy. Accurately I could be typing so slow. I like the way that punctuation is split on the Dvorak keyboard and by the looks of it and by personal research, its better for typing code; but when chatting with someone online, using ":)" & ";)" would be a bit awkward as compared to Colemak.
    All in all Colemak is the better option for an average computer user, but for a coder, I'm not too sure. It does score low in the comparison tests.

My opinion on the symbol keys was at first in favor of colemak and the original qwerty positions.

But after using it for awhile I agree for programming, and probable the unix command line, the dvorak positions are generally better for that (with exceptions of course).

I've never understood the concern for having ZXCV in the default qwerty positions,
    when copy and pasting in a gui environment I've always used the mouse right click menu.

When copy and pasting in a terminal with both hands on the keyboard,
    I prefer the dvorak positions for those keybinds.

Maybe I just don't use some of the professional programs that this is really needed in though.

I've been using dvorak since a few years after I got my first pc, so I never really used ZXCV in
    the qwerty positions at all, since the time I knew enough about computers that I might have actually needed them.

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 11:09:54)

Dreyeth said:

My opinion on the symbol keys was at first in favor of colemak and the original qwerty positions.

But after using it for awhile I agree for programming, and probable the unix command line, the dvorak positions are generally better for that (with exceptions of course).

When it comes to the punctuation, Dvorak does have the advantage there. However when chatting online, stuff like ':)' or ':P' becomes a bit of a pain or a hassle. But something to get used to I guess.

Dreyeth said:

I've never understood the concern for having ZXCV in the default qwerty positions,
    when copy and pasting in a gui environment I've always used the mouse right click menu.

When copy and pasting in a terminal with both hands on the keyboard,
    I prefer the dvorak positions for those keybinds.

Maybe I just don't use some of the professional programs that this is really needed in though.

I've been using dvorak since a few years after I got my first pc, so I never really used ZXCV in
    the qwerty positions at all, since the time I knew enough about computers that I might have actually needed them.

When it comes to the shortcuts, Colemak absolutely shines. Now it should be noted that ZXCV in Dvorak are in better positions for typing. If you wish to use these shortcuts with one hand in tandom with mouse, on Dvorak, you need switch the mouse to the left. That makes a whole difference. The setup is far more ergonomic than with Colemak IMO.
    But, on Windows those shortcuts are a bit of a pain. The Ctrl button is quite a stretch if you don't have long fingers. On a Mac, you will have no problem with those shortcuts on Dvorak; since you use the command button with your thumb. I have no idea about the Linux issue, but I would guess that you could remap the keys much like the mac with relative ease to make full use of that.
    I fail to see why Colemak isn't recognised by MS Windows; even though it makes using their OS much, much better. Kinda shows how backward MS is afterall. (That's something of a different matter).

People who use these shortcuts mostly use  MS Office programs and Graphic Designing software. Basically most people who have been using computers for a while know these commands. Using them with one hand in tandom with a mouse, makes work quite a bit easier and quicker. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you managed without them. :P

pinkyache said:

I'm a Dvorak user, and I've grown more and more irritated with F's placement (which is where Qwerty sites Y), I liked it at first.  I suspect that it could steer the hand too much in a bad way.

I will concur that the position of 'F' and 'L' are a pain on Dvorak. As is the position of the ';' button which I use for chatting online. But to be honest I kinda liked the hand alteration and the position of some of the punctuation.

I agree on the 'F' key, I disagree on the 'L' though unlike most dvorak users I think 'L'
    is actually on a finger that is easier to hit the upper row on then the index finger hitting 'g'
    if using a standard keyboard shape, I'm completely okay with the 'L' keys placement.
    I don't have a issue with the ';' which isn't used much except special programming commands
    usually to end a line, or like you said chatting online, its used as much as its position
    in the keyboard layout deserves and I don't find it to be in a bad position to hit when I actually use it;
    Even ocassionally using VI I don't find the ':' to be hard to hit I actually like the left hand pinky hits shift, left hand ring finger hits ':' feel to it.

Colemak puts the 'L' on the upper row of the index finger, and while I was testing that out,
    it felt far more un-natural then having it on the right pinky, I was suprised with that.
    After all the pinky is a short finger, the only thing I could come up with is that the pinky
    is usually angled higher in its resting position with common hand placement.
    Unless you're using a ergonomic keyboard.

Maybe I've been typing dvorak too long but I like the 'L' position.

Really anything on the upper row above the home position, is a easy enough to hit key though.

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 12:53:08)

For me when chatting online, combos like ':)' & ':P' I do find a bit of a pain on Dvorak. But like I said, its something that I need to get used to I guess. F is a pain, but again there is no real perfect layout. Colemak users will try to persuade you that it is. Not this one though. Colemak is brilliant by design, but its not perfect. Not IMO anyway. The rolls do get a bit tiresome after a typing constantly for about 30 mins or so.

I've never found the position of L on Colemak awkward or bad. Perhaps its a personal thing. But then again quite a few things are personal about choosing keyboard layouts.

Most Colemak users I've seen on this forum won't try to persuade you that Colemak is perfect. In my experience though, it works very well and has stood the test of some time now. If anything's better it's probably better for some and worse for some as preferences do play a large role when hunting perfection. In other words, Colemak is a perfectly good alternative if you want something with a supportive community, even if it can't be perfect for you. I believe that the potential for further benefit for most users is minor indeed, but that's just my feeling about it.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Jan-2014 20:15:58)

@davkol  - its interesting that you mention the pain on your hand over using the shortcuts. I recall seeing some thing in the link below about how one-handed keyboard shortcuts caused RSI.
    http://xahlee.blogspot.ae/2011/06/keybo … is-it.html
    The really strange thing is that there are articles online that say that using the mouse causes RSI too and that using keyboard shortcuts would stop that. http://ergonomenon.com/ergonomics-artic … -can-help/

@DreymaR - Certainly Colemak users here have been very accommodating to Dvorak users. But I've seen other articles on the net where Colemak users have simply copied the FAQ page and said how horrid Dvorak layout is. To me there is no real winner on whether Colemak is better than Dvorak. They're equal to me. My issue was trying to find out which one was the best for me and worth putting the effort. I've spent a year on Colemak now. Still far from perfect, but only after a year am I seeing some kind of result (Probably others would have the same result in a month).. I only hope I made the right choice.

The non US bottom left is a bit awkward.  I've got my pipe back slash and colons there (Dvorak) and it took a while to get used to.  I think the tilde is down there with standard Dvorak.  There's some difference for me when moving from Mac to Linux anyway, which probably adds to the confusion.

I don't like Dvorak's P (Qwerty R) that much either.

As Davkol mentions, is that one handed shortcuts using chords on the bottom left of the keyboard can contort the hand, look at your hand as you do it, there are probably better ways to tackle it, but for me it's weird.  I mostly try and use a modifier on one hand while I select the other key on the other.  Sticky keys also give a much more relaxed feel to using the keyboard - it lifts those twists.

Perhaps Qwerty->Dvorak->Colemak makes for a somewhat harder transition.

Last edited by pinkyache (30-Jan-2014 00:25:02)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

For me the usage of the thumb for the 'cmd' on mac is far more ergonomic than using the pinky for 'ctrl' on Windows. I don't know that much about the linux shortcuts to comment on that.
    As for the placement of P. Its the same as for Colemak. For Colemak users this is a welcome placement IMO. It's easy to type and for those of us who work in admin and print documents, it adds an all important shortcut to the group.

pinkyache said:

Sticky keys also give a much more relaxed feel to using the keyboard - it lifts those twists.

What are sticky keys? Did someone eat too many jelly doughnuts again? :P

@Knightjp, you just won't let go of those one handed shortcuts...

I've mentioned the p before.  With Dvorak the vowels are on the left hand and only a few consonants: p (r) and qjkx (xcvb) - brackets denote Qwerty's corresponding keys.  The p has a higher frequency than the other letters.  Touch typing guides suggest you use the index finger for the p (r), but to do so comfortably you need to slide the hand to the left, rather than angling it.  Try Shift + P and Ctrl + P (dvorak and colemak) on the same hand.  It's nasty, see how you orientate your hand.  Using the left middle for that key might be a better alternative (crappy left side stagger on standard keyboard).

--

pinkyache said:

Perhaps Qwerty->Dvorak->Colemak makes for a somewhat harder transition.

As mentioned before, that's what it felt like in my case.

Knightjp: Just funny, or a bit lazy? ;)

@pinkyache.. LOL... Yeah I kinda like them. However on a mac its a better than using the Ctrl button. I understand about shift considering that some don't have the long fingers that I have. :)

@DreymaR... Lol.. thanks for that. :)
    I suppose using sticky keys will make using the shortcuts with one hand on Dvorak a whole lot better. But I like the feel of them on Colemak.

pinkyache said:

@Knightjp, you just won't let go of those one handed shortcuts...

I've mentioned the p before.  With Dvorak the vowels are on the left hand and only a few consonants: p (r) and qjkx (xcvb) - brackets denote Qwerty's corresponding keys.  The p has a higher frequency than the other letters.  Touch typing guides suggest you use the index finger for the p (r), but to do so comfortably you need to slide the hand to the left, rather than angling it.  Try Shift + P and Ctrl + P (dvorak and colemak) on the same hand.  It's nasty, see how you orientate your hand.  Using the left middle for that key might be a better alternative (crappy left side stagger on standard keyboard).

I don't have much trouble with shift+p been hitting it as a tanking cooldown in world of warcraft for years on
    the dvorak binding, maybe I just have bigger hands.

Playing wow and similar mmos I've developed the very bad habbit of only hitting shift with my left
    hand for both sides of the keyboard. =/

I press alot of binds in mmos on the left side of the keyboard while holding shift and using the mouse
    with the right hand.

Last edited by Dreyeth (12-Feb-2014 23:34:49)

knightjp said:

@pinkyache.. LOL... Yeah I kinda like them. However on a mac its a better than using the Ctrl button. I understand about shift considering that some don't have the long fingers that I have. :)

@DreymaR... Lol.. thanks for that. :)
    I suppose using sticky keys will make using the shortcuts with one hand on Dvorak a whole lot better. But I like the feel of them on Colemak.

Maybe I should invest in a mac keyboard for my PC then (its usb right?).

The position of the control key has annoyed me for years on the standard pc keyboard.

I'd have more bindings for mmos if I could hit control with my thumbs. >:)

Dreyeth said:

Maybe I should invest in a mac keyboard for my PC then (its usb right?).

The position of the control key has annoyed me for years on the standard pc keyboard.

I'd have more bindings for mmos if I could hit control with my thumbs. >:)

All the best with that. Mac keyboard is USB, so yes that wouldn't be much of a hassle. But if you're using anything other than Mac OS X, you'd probably have to remap the keys.
    On a mac the keyboard shortcuts are just heavenly. On Colemak, the Cmd (Z/X/C/V/P/T/S/W/Q/A) is so much more easier than Ctrl.
    And on Dvorak, the mac keyboard makes the shortcuts easier too. Using the Cmd key makes much less of a stretch. If you switch the mouse to the left, on a mac, the shortcuts on Dvorak are almost as equal to Dvorak. The only thing is that you'd have less. (Z/X/C/V/T/S/N/W)
    The only reason that I stuck with Colemak is that I use a Windows machine at work and using the Shortcuts on that with Dvorak would've been a mess. If I were to use Dvorak, I would be switching the mouse to the left, but that is not too big of a deal with me. I'm left-handed.
    Another reason for Colemak is when I pasted most of what I type at work like official letters, mails, etc, into the keyboard analyzer, the result showed that Colemak was the best keyboard for me.