• You are not logged in.

New Colemak keyboard graphics

• Started by DreymaR
  • 27 Replies:

I've made a set of IBM-style vector graphics of Colemak boards. Let's see what the good people of the boards think!
The images are Public License: Give me credit for it if you use them, but otherwise do as you please.

Space-FinalFrontier.png?dl=1
   US version; tinted, with index finger emphasis (and a little joke added...)

Cmk-ISO-Wide35_60d-Finger.png?dl=1
   Comfort Colemak (the middle position on the lower row should be considered customizeable)
   My preferred fingering in happy colors - a coffee mug piece for instance. Two keys are ambivalent - I use the left hand but I'm left handed.

CmkIBM-ANSI_90d-Bg-Finger.png?dl=1
   I made some with huge letters on too - maybe easier to use for someone learning or advertising for the layout?

Cmk-GadOE_90d-Finger.png?dl=1
   A flight of fancy, with symmetric row stagger ++... (bit of a Gimp hack)

I came to feel that reversing the middle-row stagger on the left side only and putting in a trackpoint mouse stick would improve everything a lot without being difficult to use at all. The idea came from that fingering figure above. There should be a mouse button under the track point, and the bottom-row middle key is VK_102. The longer Tab key and that ridiculously long right-hand Shift key were split to make room for more keys like Esc and ... a laptop-style NumLock, maybe?

Note how images can have a transparent background. That's nice for printing I feel - let me know if you wish a full set of those images, or any particular one.

[NOTE 2014-05: As this is an old post, the original images got taken off the net. I've reposted most of them.]

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Mar-2019 14:27:07)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
  • Administrator

They look very nice, I like them.
* 6 is very debatable. I recommend doing it with the right hand, because I find it to be more logical to split the digits into two, and that each hand does 5 digits. Especially if you're typing a long string of digits, the numeric home row would be your index fingers on the 4 and 7 keys. However the 6 is slightly nearer to the left hand on a standard staggered keyboard. Kinesis/TypeMatrix also put it on the right hand.
* The colored version looks very good, although I'm not sure that the brown fits in well with the pastel colors. Perhaps white/grey would look better.
* There should be labels for non-letter keys, specifically the capslock/backspace.
* The bumps on T and N should stand out a bit more.
* There should be a standard Colemak version.

* They look very nice, I like them.
Thanks! As a creator yourself, you know how nice it is to get positive feedback (I don't think that's only me, heh).

* The colored version looks very good, although I'm not sure that the brown fits in well with the pastel colors. Perhaps white/grey would look better.
    Fixed; a lighter gold color looks better. I think that a grey might throw off the whole color thing, so I didn't go for that.

* There should be a standard Colemak version.
    Fixed: US version added - really just a long Shift key, and the rest can be edited in a Paint program.
The 'comfort' Colemak is still standard for non-US-boards though, I hope?  :)

So far I haven't gone to the trouble of making a 102-key-style Enter key. I'm thinking that everybody will understand the images just fine anyway. Besides, I'm not a big fan of that harder-to-reach Enter key since it's unergonomical. Not a big point for me since I now use the Space bar with CapsLock for Enter, but still. [Update: The images are now available with the 'inverse-L' Enter key as well as the ANSI one.]

* The bumps on T and N should stand out a bit more.
    Fixed: Slightly heavier tactile bumps.
I made the tactile bumps low-key since they are that way on the IBM keyboards. Some like them a lot and some don't want too large bumps.

* There should be labels for non-letter keys, specifically the capslock/backspace.
    Fixed; made symbolic (optional) markings for non-letter keys.
I use unlabeled non-letter keys at home for style points. But in the case of the Colemak there is an emphasis on the former CapsLock key which should not be disregarded (whether it's simply turned into a Backspace or a more fancy 'extend' key using PKL).

* 6 is very debatable. I recommend doing it with the right hand[...]
    Unchanged [on the main image - option to edit in the classical fingering with a paint program].
The '6' is indeed debatable. I've used the left hand on it for two reasons: Every physically split keyboard I've seen has had the '6' on the left-hand part so if I ever get one of those I'll be ready for it; also, I'm left-handed and feel that my right hand is getting too much exercise on the whole including mouse use so I feel it's nice to use the left hand for both '6' and my 'Ø' key. For now I'll just keep those marked as 'choose-for-yourself' fingerings.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Oct-2009 14:16:12)

keyboard samurai said:

perhaps posts some of these images on the Colemak facebook group ?

I'm not on Facebook, so I'll leave that to someone else. These images are public license and all I ask is due credit - otherwise do what you please. Bear in mind however, that adjustments may still occur - hopefully for the better.

Updated versions in the main post! (And check the folder if you need another variant combination.)

I went up from 72 dpi to 90 dpi. The former is really a bit on the stingy side these days I think.

And... how do you like this one:

CmkNew_IBM-ISO_60d-Tinted.png?dl=1
   Didactic version, showing the new keys in Colemak!

I'm really wondering about the number row fingering. Checked it out a bit and there are numerous variants around.

I don't generally enter long strings of numbers without using a NumPad. Since my wrists are straight, that means I don't really want to adhere to the 'number home row' approach - that's recommended not only by Shai but by most places it would seem. I saw one place moving the 'home row' one key to the right, by the way.

I've been keeping my wrists straight and attached to the home row home position which means that stretching the left index finger all the way to 4 would be impractical. So the middle fingers do 4 and 8. Then it seems natural to help the pinkies by letting the ring fingers do two numbers each. They are weak fingers but as far as I can understand it works just fine. But I'm puzzled at the many ways people seem to be doing this. Also, when I try typing a few numbers it seems I'm actually using the right-hand ring finger for 9 and 0 like I thought - but the left-hand middle finger for 3 and 4! The hands aren't really symmetric since there are so many keys at the right side, but still. I'm confused now.

I think this has been discussed before; anyone remember how that went? I did find this thread by Webwit; turns out I'm using the same fingering as the TypeFaster one he describes there!

Maybe the truth is that these fingerings can be highly individual and even flexible with good result.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Mar-2019 16:08:29)

Update: A whole bunch of DIY images! And all those F# and other keys except the NumPad block (which I don't much like anyway).

CmkIBM-DIY_FingerBg+.png

Grab your Paint program of choice and simply cut-and-paste together your preferred version!

For instance:
CmkIBM-ISOmain_FingerBg-.png
   The DreymaR-preferred version (compact and light), or...

CmkIBM-ANSIfull_FingerBg+.png
   ...an ANSI-board version (full board) with traditional number row fingering and background, or...

CmkIBM-ANSIfull_TintedBg+.png
   ...the above image, tinted.

I've provided fingering-colored, tinted and grayscale versions of the images and also big-lettered ones as before. Neat?

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Mar-2010 09:48:25)

There's now a Creative Commons license, including the Inkscape source file and a bit of fun:

CmkIBM-ISOfull_45d-FlameFingers.png?dl=1
    I tried out a fun coloring scheme; maybe I'll mod a keyboard like that some day!?

CmkIBM-ISOfull_45d-ColorWaveTint.png?dl=1
    Another crazy color show-off thing.

In the future, I think I'll work on an 'Extend' mode image for my Power CapsLock mode in PKL! Should be able to use that as a PKL state image too.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Mar-2019 16:11:19)

I've taken the liberty to make a Rulemak version of your diagram:
(by simple search/replace in the XML)

Rulemak.png

Last edited by ghen (11-Nov-2017 20:28:33)

Cool!

If you want to be nice about it, you should re-apply the CC license: You could go to the CC pages and make one (where you mention me as the original source), or just edit my license file to your new needs.

I primarily intend the license for the source file (the SVG/XML) but technically it goes for all derived works. The license says you should mention me (for instance, by the link <div xmlns:cc="https://creativecommons.org/ns#" about="http://folk.uio.no/obech/Images/Colemak/Cmk-BoardFigs/CC-license_CmkBoardFigIBM.html"><a rel="cc:attributionURL" property="cc:attributionName" href="http://folk.uio.no/obech/">Øystein Bech "DreymaR" Gadmar</a> / <a rel="license" href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/">CC BY-NC-SA 3.0</a></div> ) and the 'Share Alike' part of the license means you should share derived works under a similar license.

Another thought: This search-and-replace in the xml code, could probably be scripted? So you might autogenerate, say, images of all the shift states and dead key maps in a .klc (or PKL .ini) file like what PKL uses? That'd be awesome.

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Nov-2009 10:24:24)

those are all really beautiful.  i have never been able to successfully edit other ppl's things like this to make different keyboards.

if it's as simple as search-replacing xml then I humbly beg for someone to make a cross-platform script that takes simple input, like dreymar is saying.  It could take a standard format or its own, as long as its easy to edit.

!!! script the search and replace oh god yes.  then these beautiful things could follow me no matter what keyboard i'm messing around in.

Pictures are good looking ^_^

IMO, the DreymaR's preferred version in #6 looks the best.

Why not showing fingering of modifiers and maybe of function keys too?

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the feedback!

I won't show fingering of modifiers and function keys, because either it's pretty obvious or it doesn't matter. How you finger your function keys won't affect your typing speed or ergonomy unless you're doing some seriously weird typing. Besides, I use the number keys for F# anyway...  ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Nov-2009 12:36:46)

DreymaR said:

I won't show fingering of modifiers and function keys, because either it's pretty obvious or it doesn't matter. How you finger your function keys won't affect your typing speed or ergonomy unless you're doing some seriously weird typing. Besides, I use the number keys for F# anyway...  ;)

Indeed modifiers and function keys are not essential to typing, however it didn't occur to me that such keys seem arranged to be touch typed too, therefore a suggestion in that direction would be helpful. Maybe you're right: being an Emacs user, I just do some weird typing (lots of modifiers).

Cheers ^_^

EDIT: Nevermind, lower modifiers are not in standard positions across keyboards, and function keys are not in standard positions on laptop keyboards.

Last edited by spremino (24-Nov-2009 17:37:01)

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Update: I'm currently working on scripting changes to the images. The 'DIY' options will hopefully be quite extensive! I'm also devising a Keyboard Layout Definition file format that should be logical and easily editable as well as possible to create by scripts from for instance MSKLC (or PKL?) files. It's a quite big project for me though, but it's slowly progressing at least.

A few more samples:

Cmk-ISO-Wide1a_60d-Finger.png?dl=1
      The spectral color scheme I used at first; I notice that 60 dpi doesn't look quite right though

Cmk-ISO-Wide1a_30d-Simple.png?dl=1
   CmkIBM-ISO60d-Wide_Simple.png
      A simple version without fancy graphics on the key caps, more suitable for scaling down (for a PKL help image for instance)

Cmk-QWE-Dvo-ISO-Wide1a_60d-Finger.png?dl=1
      I put on the markings for QWERTY and Dvorak in addition to Colemak, for the outsiders
      (it should it probably be scaled up for actual use; this is just a sample).

Cmk-ISO-Wide1a_90d-FingerShui.png?dl=1
      A fun alternative color scheme: Feng Shui inspired!

I don't really believe in the energy flow talk around Feng Shui, but the colors are clear and I think they're nice. According to Feng Shui, the fingers have elemental (and thus color) connections:
- Thumbs are Earth (yellow)
- Index fingers are Wood (green, blue)
- Middle fingers are Fire (red)
- Ring fingers are Metal (white)
- Little fingers are Water (black)
- The left hand is more Yang (brighter, towards red)
- The right hand is more Yin (darker, towards blue)

Enjoy! And for those who'd like to try their own hand at this: The ability to script color schemes should be ready pretty soon.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Mar-2019 14:23:05)

Those are really beautiful images of the layout. I would be proud to put that as a sticker somewhere haha :).

Thanks! And go ahead if you can make a sticker. My reservations are about removing my name from the files and commercial usage without my consent. If you do make a sticker, take a snapshot and post it here.  :)

Wow, those are gorgeous. Nice job! :)

I see that my old university account has finally been completely obliterated, so the pictures have vanished from this topic. I may put some of them back in, but in the meantime here's a couple of joke pictures I made and published in other topics lately. They illustrate the image quality well.

DopplerColemak.png?dl=1
      The Doppler effect! It has a red shift and a blue shift you know. ;) This is an untinted ANSI Colemak image.

Space-FinalFrontier.png?dl=1
      The old Star Trek joke! ;) This image is tinted, to emphasize the old IBM keyboard design that inspired my images.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Mar-2019 16:13:41)

Oh, and here's a few other versions I made to illustrate stuff in my Big Bag of Tricks posts:

Cmk-ISO-MirrorOff-Angle_90d-FingerShui.png?dl=1
      This image shows my Feng Shui inspired fingering color scheme as described above, F keys and the Angle ergonomic mod

Cmk-ISO-eD-v201410-AWide35_90d_FShui.png?dl=1
      Colemak[eD] showing AltGr mappings, dead keys and a WideAngle ergonomic mod

Extend-ANSI-NoMod-Linux_96d.png?dl=1
      The Extend mappings, with thematic colorings

Tarmak_Spectral_ETROI.png?dl=1
      Tarmak transitional Colemak layouts, spectrally color coded from red (first step) to purple (last step)

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Mar-2019 14:36:56)

If I might make a suggestion, I think a smaller version of one of the Tarmak pics (especially that gif?) would make a good forum signature, especially if there's a good intro post covering both colemak and tarmak to link back to.

You can't have sig pics on this forum, can you? Or isn't that what you meant?

I meant on other forums, for those who might not be familiar with the very notion of colemak/tarmak.

Last edited by lalop (22-Apr-2014 11:26:57)

I'd expect at least a tatoo ;)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

A tattoo, you say? I'll be posting a pic of my crotch area shortly, showing my studly Tarmak tattoo. NSFW, be warned.