• You are not logged in.

Colemak via Tarmak

• Started by bph
  • 349 Replies:

73wpm on typeracer - gooooooaaaaaaal, and another..

You beastie, you. Grats!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

62wpm last 10 avg on typeracer - its a new record.. scratch that, 64 now yeehah

Last edited by bph (13-May-2014 17:43:24)

I'm starting to feel a transition taking place after almost a year where I can type some passages without having to really think about what I'm doing - my fingers seem to be operating somehow independently of my brain. It's quite pleasant. Long may it continue. I can imagine if this transition continues typing will become a real pleasure..

Last edited by bph (23-May-2014 11:28:58)

Yes, that's nice indeed! :)

BTW, I took the liberty of quoting you in the new Tarmak topic. Hope that's okay with you.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hey dreymar no problem at all..

Really the tarmak stuff needs to come out of the forum and on to the colemak home page when its all settled down

that would be a more natural home for it

Grats bph!

The times when I start to type (exclusively in Colemak for last couple days) - it is indeed nice when the words just appear and it was completely effortless.  I do happen to miss that about Qwerty skills, but there are times... oh there are times when it is just magical and I hit a couple sentences really fast with no typos... and just smile.

When upgrading 13.10 to 14.04 for some reason my punctuation seems to have changed slightly

it's gone a bit mac-like, e.g. the " above the 2 is now a @ and the @ above the ' is now a "

but this seems obviously better to me so i'm going to stick with it - not sure why i didn't do it before

having ' and " on same key makes loads of sense as these are probably the most used punctuation

happy to relegate the @ to the harder to reach 2 key

With Dvorak the difference between the US and Uk layout is quite subtle, and the double quote and snail are in different places.  Perhaps you were using UK Colemak and now you are using the US version.   Windows only gives me the US variant of Dvorak, which moves a few keys, which is a little irritating.  I find the tilde, pipe and slashes can move too.

Last edited by pinkyache (28-May-2014 15:19:45)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

bph said:

When upgrading 13.10 to 14.04 for some reason my punctuation seems to have changed slightly

it's gone a bit mac-like, e.g. the " above the 2 is now a @ and the @ above the ' is now a "

but this seems obviously better to me so i'm going to stick with it - not sure why i didn't do it before

having ' and " on same key makes loads of sense as these are probably the most used punctuation

happy to relegate the @ to the harder to reach 2 key

...wait, what?!  You had " in the number row the whole time?

yes - i think its a standard uk thing as thats how my keys are printed up

i noticed the mac is different though

maybe its not a mac thing but a uk/us thing

either way - " in the no. row I can see now, is not a good thing.. i am a changed man

Ah, I see.  I never suspected that was actually a standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_a … _keyboards

It's a quagmire!  I like the French take ( Bépo/Azerty) of pulling the punctuation down from the number row so you don't have to shift.   Makes the double quote easier.  Not so good on a laptop.  I've started to use single quotes as much as possible with programming to avoid the hassle of the double key press.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

lalop said:

...wait, what?!  You had " in the number row the whole time?

Indeed this is a strange revelation to me as well heh.

78wpm on typeracer - verging on the elusive 80..

So thats a year with Colemak

average about 60wpm +- 4 wpm

max is 78 wpm

Cheers and good health everybody..

bph said:

So thats a year with Colemak

average about 60wpm +- 4 wpm

max is 78 wpm

Cheers and good health everybody..

Wow, thanks bph! Very inspiring story, I've switched 2 months ago and I can't go beyond 30 WPM...
You give me faith :)

yes bluemonk, unfortunately you're right in the painful patch

persevere and you will reach the promised land

it all starts feeling usable when you pass 40wpm and justs gets better from there on in

the pain is recent for me so i remember it vividly - i was repeatedly convinced i had plateau'd and wasn't making any progress but its just your typing speed progresses in waves as opposed to linearly, also don't be surprised there are weeks when you seem to regress - I had plenty of those too. But I can vouch for the fact that if you keep at it your trajectory will ultimately be an upward one

bluemonk said:

Wow, thanks bph! Very inspiring story, I've switched 2 months ago and I can't go beyond 30 WPM...
You give me faith :)

A couple of weeks ago, I was where you are now. Today, I'm just over 40 WPM, which is very slow compared to my old QWERTY speeds, but not so slow as to be unusable. I'm having the same feeling of plateauing that you're having, but hopefully it will pass...

1_wpm_score_BR.pngVisit the Typing Test and try!

FluxBB bbcode test

69? Excellent! (to quote Bill and Ted).

I'm at a new plateau around 55WPM. Hopefully I'll break through to 60 soon enough.

65 average on typeracer - its a new high!

puts me a gnats whisker below the rank of 80% in the wpm percentile, as I'm a believer in Paretos rule sneaking above that will leave me with a great sense of satisfaction and I can turn my attentions to other matters where I am still trailing my Pareto ratio

Gains are slowing for sure, every wpm is hard-won these days

still waiting to break 80, had a 77 yesterday

Last edited by bph (22-Jul-2014 12:24:11)

I'm still stuck below 60 WPM, and not notably improving from day to day. I'm not sure what my next action is here; whether generating lessons in amphetype will help, or what.

i've done a few things like that

practiced the top 100 words in ampthetype a bit

worked my way through the type training on ten fast fingers - that gives you batches of 100 most used words, and doesn't let you progress till you top 50wpm - its a bit american centric though

the main thing is time though - keep practicing and the speed comes but progress gets slower and slower as you reach your limits, I'm gaining at best 1wpm a month now

if your stuck below 60wpm then thats not too much of an issue as thats plenty fast enough to get stuff done, if you were stuck at 40 then you would have a bit of a problem