• You are not logged in.

Mike Eaton's Progress

• Started by Michael Eaton
    • 15 Replies:

Hi All,

I've been using colemak since Monday (7/30/2007).  On day four I'm already feeling really comfortable with the layout.  I'm a touch typist and I program computers for a living (.net framework, C#).  I've been coming to the site since early July and decided to switch cold turkey on monday (made the decision friday afternoon at work).  I've used nothing but colemak since monday.  I feel like every day typing has gotten easier and speed has definitely improved.  My old qwerty speed was around 60 wpm.   Right now i'm around 22 wpm + 14% error rate on lesson 12 (only tried it once).  I've been going through the lessons sequentially and moving on once I reach 30 wpm + 4 % error rate.  Pretty much following all the advice I've seen on the site.  That puts me on lesson 4 right as of right now.  I find it kind of cool to be one of the early adopters of this layout (probably < 1000 adopters).

Last edited by Michael Eaton (13-Aug-2007 19:03:31)

Congrats! Keep it going, soon you'll surpass your old 60 wpm, I'd nearly bet my house on that! I've just recently reached nearly 60 wpm on 'common words' lesson, just a shame I don't usually think that fast, so my normal typing speed can be quite a bit lower. xD

congrats...I think cold turkey is the best way to learn. You're doing good, keep it up :)

Typefaster Lesson 12: 31 wpm 9% error rate (as measured by typefaster) , Did lesson 4 at 40 wpm 3% error rate

Not bad for 11 days (cold turkey)

Forced to use qwerty at the dentist office yesterday, had to hunt and peck and kept hitting the caps lock button.  The caps lock being the back button was the one of the first keys I learned.  The first day of my switch, I blocked the old back space key with a business card, which forced me to adapt quickly (only took me a day to get used to it), and it is one of my favorite features (there are several).

Typefaster Lesson 12: 32 wpm 4% error rate

I feel like the keyboard is second nature now.  My wpm is much higher for normal text (probably closer to 50 wpm).  I would say that I have successfully switched to Colemak.  I will still make some statistical updates here and there.

WOW! So you managed to get perfectly used to colemak in only 15 days!? That's very good indeed! Did you do any touch-typing before?

I've been touch typing since I was 14 (~6 years).  I think I adapted so quickly because I went cold turkey and I use a computer for at least 8 hours a day.  Also keeping the keeping some of the infrequently used keys in their qwerty position was a huge benefit.  Once I learned the home row I was in pretty good shape.  I only did the first 4 typing lessons (did lesson 12 as a benchmark) and let every day usage take care of the rest.

11 Year later after my original post and I'm still at it with colemak. I leveled off around 70 wpm which was faster than I ever achieved with QWERTY. I have lost all QWERTY skill.

It's cool to hear some long term users, so you're still using vanilla colemak, or have you moved over to one of the mods?

Hiya Mike! Long time no see, eh. :-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I'm still using vanilla colemak. I remap the keys using registry in windows (I have found other approaches annoying). I have a few spare usb sticks that have a autohotkey compiled copy of Qwerty to Colemak for situations I can't do a registry remapping. I find I always have troubles with windows built in keyboard layout swapping mechanism.

Hi DreymaR, glad to drop back in. Was pleasantly surprised to find that these forums are still active after all these years.

Oh yeah, we're going strong. And I have a lot of stuff in my Big Bag – mostly on GitHub but presented here. And we have a Discord server that can be chatty enough.

Colemak is vital. Colemak-ⲔⲰ[eD] is radical. ^_^

I'm going to have to play around with your bag of tricks DreymaR. Looks like you and a few others have taken things to the next level.

Next level?

We're building a stairway to Heaven. ;-)

DreymaR said:

Next level?

ISO_Level5_Shift

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.