• You are not logged in.

Dvorak vs Colemak

• Started by fnord
    • 3 Replies:

I am currently a user of dvorak, and am considering making the switch. Is there really a practical reason to go to Colemak?

Colemak, for a qwerty user, is a viable alternative; but going there from something other than qwerty yields such a small benefit. Besides, when I do stuff on a public computer (at school (8th grade. That's right.)), I would have to download the file and I'm not sure if they would let me do that.

Is anybody else trying colemak as a dvorak alternative, and is it worth the trouble? I do like the shortcuts, though.

• Shai
    • Administrator

See the related answer in the FAQ

One of my reasons of developing Colemak was that I used very often other people's keyboards. Switching back and forth between Colemak and QWERTY is much easier than switching back and forth between Dvorak and QWERTY. If you're generally happy with Dvorak, you probably should stick with it.

Thanks. I have also been messing around with Capewell/C-Dvorak, and both work quite nicely. Since your layout is so new, I haven't yet seen any comparisons to the others. Or maybe I'm just being ignorant, but I can't really tell.

• Shai
    • Administrator

See also the forum thread What makes Colemak better than the alternatives?
    Besides the problems already mentioned in that thread, the additional problem with C-Dvorak is that it has a rather high same-finger ratio.