• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Where should I be resting my fingers and other questions?

Where should I be resting my fingers and other questions?

• Started by pagosElite
    • 10 Replies:

When typing on QWERTY, as a touch typist you rest your index fingers on the J and the F keys, does that also hold true for Colemak? Also, when you need to use the shift key + some other key or the backspace, do you lift your hand off of the keyboard/the home row keys or...? Lastly, my QWERTY wpm is 65+ but I "hunt and peck" and that is one of the main reasons I decided to switch over to Colemak because I was hoping to learn to touch-type with a new language. How can I learn it touch-typing way? Is there anywhere where I can do so? Right now I'm hunting and pecking. What do I actually need to do to touch type? I REALLY don't want to end up learning Tarmak and Colemak through hunting and pecking because if I do this I'll have gained nothing at all and will have just wasted my time. Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: I am using Tarmak, so would there any be anyway to use online resources with that or even just learning touch-typing in general?

Last edited by pagosElite (14-Jul-2014 14:13:37)

The home row position for Colemak is the same as for QWERTY, index fingers on what are now the n and t keys.  Normally you type the outer keys (shift, control, backspace) with your pinkies, without removing your hand from the home row.

I feel I was lucky to take a complete touch typing class many years ago, so I don't really know the best online resources. I do know that learncolemak.com organises its lessons by finger, so that may be all you need.

jfmcbrayer said:

The home row position for Colemak is the same as for QWERTY, index fingers on what are now the n and t keys.  Normally you type the outer keys (shift, control, backspace) with your pinkies, without removing your hand from the home row.

I feel I was lucky to take a complete touch typing class many years ago, so I don't really know the best online resources. I do know that learncolemak.com organises its lessons by finger, so that may be all you need.

I know one source for learning touch typing online but it utilizes Colemak and can't use Tarmak so that brings me to question. Do you think it's wise for me to learn to hunt and peck using Tarmak and when I finally hit the Colemak stage to go and learn to touchtype from scratch and try to overwrite the hunting and pecking or not?

for colemak/tarmak/anyoldmak the index fingers rest in the same geographical location as for qwerty, but those locations represent different letters

assuming you haven't moved your key-caps around the index fingers should rest on the ones with the raised bumps, the 'j' and the 'f' as they will be qwerty printed

if you want to learn to touch-type all you need do is stop looking at the keys, but carry on typing, that is it!

i learnt to touch type and 6 months later learnt to use colemak via tarmak after being a qwerty hunt-n-peck for 30 odd years

i can confirm it is flippin' hard - but at the same time, well worth the effort

bph said:

for colemak/tarmak/anyoldmak the index fingers rest in the same geographical location as for qwerty, but those locations represent different letters

assuming you haven't moved your key-caps around the index fingers should rest on the ones with the raised bumps, the 'j' and the 'f' as they will be qwerty printed

if you want to learn to touch-type all you need do is stop looking at the keys, but carry on typing, that is it!

i learnt to touch type and 6 months later learnt to use colemak via tarmak after being a qwerty hunt-n-peck for 30 odd years

i can confirm it is flippin' hard - but at the same time, well worth the effort

So touch typing is basically defined as typing without looking? Under that case, I actually do touch type in QWERTY but I don't rest all my fingers in the right places, they just fly around the whole board.

I'd take that loose definition.  There are of course different styles.  Including jazz fingers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_typing

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

haha the hunt in huntnpeck implies the odd glance down at the keyboard which precludes touch-type status

most have to employ a strict finger->key mapping regime to allow touch-typing to be possible, but for sure, not everyone (sean wrona)

to test whether you are a touch-typist place a tea-towel over your hands/keyboard and type 'a quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' ten times in a row

if you have an accuracy of over 98% then I think you can call yourself a touch-typist

if not a long and lonely road lies ahead of you..

pagosElite said:

I know one source for learning touch typing online but it utilizes Colemak and can't use Tarmak so that brings me to question. Do you think it's wise for me to learn to hunt and peck using Tarmak and when I finally hit the Colemak stage to go and learn to touchtype from scratch and try to overwrite the hunting and pecking or not?

In my opinion, Tarmak is probably not worth it for non-touchtypists; it's used more for retraining existing QWERTY touchtyping experience.

How different is your current QWERTY technique to be from your end Colemak technique?

Last edited by lalop (15-Jul-2014 15:35:35)
    pagosElite said:

When typing on QWERTY, as a touch typist you rest your index fingers on the J and the F keys, does that also hold true for Colemak? Also, when you need to use the shift key + some other key or the backspace, do you lift your hand off of the keyboard/the home row keys or...? Lastly, my QWERTY wpm is 65+ but I "hunt and peck" and that is one of the main reasons I decided to switch over to Colemak because I was hoping to learn to touch-type with a new language. How can I learn it touch-typing way? Is there anywhere where I can do so? Right now I'm hunting and pecking. What do I actually need to do to touch type? I REALLY don't want to end up learning Tarmak and Colemak through hunting and pecking because if I do this I'll have gained nothing at all and will have just wasted my time. Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: I am using Tarmak, so would there any be anyway to use online resources with that or even just learning touch-typing in general?

I was in a similar position 3 months ago - I could type reasonably well with qwerty using hunt-and-peck, but I wanted to learn Colemak together with proper touch-typing technique.

I also went the Tarmak route. I found it initially difficult to stay disciplined about keeping the hands in the home position and typing keys with the correct finger. The problem is qwerty is much less well suited to touch-tying than Colemak, and it's easy to fall into old habits when only a few keys are changed. However by the time you get to Tarmak steps 2 or 3, you really should be making the effort to touch-type all the time. I doubt there would be any point learning Colemak if you weren't willing to learn proper technique as well, and certainly I didn't feel any benefit until I was regularly touch typing also.

The bad news is (in my experience) learning touch-typing technique is more difficult than learning the Colemak layout per se. But the good news is it will be worth in the long term if you stick with it. I am far from fluent but I can type well enough now to at least appreciate the benefit.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

wise words steve - there is definitely no point switching to colemak if you don't also intend to learn to touch type

I don't think simply "not looking" is a very useful definition for touch typing.  I would additionally require keys to be hit by nearby fingers.  Either that, or we need another word for touch typing that's not just pecking.

Conversely, I'd consider "hunt and peck" appropriate even if you hunt by proprioception rather than sight.  One interesting way to think about it is that the finger has to hunt (potentially far away) for the button to peck, rather than only going after the nearby buttons (in analogy to farming?).

• Index
      • Technical
      • Where should I be resting my fingers and other questions?