• You are not logged in.

Down with QWERTY, up with Colemak!

• Started by osum4est
    • 3 Replies:

Hello! I fairly recently discovered different keyboard layouts. Being a guy who likes to try new things, i'm giving colemak a go. I was previously on QWERTY at 70 wpm, but quite a few errors and it just felt clunky. I'm 16 so I've been using QWERTY for about 6 years.

I am using keybr.com and am loving it. So far I'm using the: E, A, I, N, T, O, L, R keys and average about 45 wpm :D. I've been practicing since yesterday. A number of errors, though. My high score, if you're also using keybr, is 2344. When I try the S key, it kills me. The I key also took a bit to get used to.

After I'm done with colemak I plan on learning an AltGr/Caps lock layout for programming so if anyone knows of the best layout for that, that'd be great.

Edit: Okay! This is my first time fully writing something in colemak, and boy, is it taking a while! I turned on full colemak and am averaging 23 wpm on 10fastfingers. Wish me luck! My biggest problem letters are: S, L, P and Y I keep switching for some reason, and G.

Last edited by osum4est (19-Jul-2014 00:29:32)

Some of the "kind of same position" keys will be a bit awkward yeah.  R/S are common frustrations to people just starting to make the change.

As someone who is a few months into The Change (TM), I'd suggest that you practice Qwerty at least 5-10min a day as well as make your switch to Colemak.  Sitting down at a foreign keyboard and being unable to type because it's not Colemak is harsh :).

Otherwise, keep up the good work, persevere, etc!

Good progress. Keep on practising, you will soon appreciate the luxury of using such optimized layout.

I don't remember the link but I think it was TomLu who devised a good looking AltGr layout. Search the forums for programmer mappings.

Personally, I find the Extend mapping mode to be of great use to programming! It's like an omnimode vim-navigation/editing layer, or the Happy Hacker Fn mappings. Check my sig topics.

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Jul-2014 11:15:50)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***