• You are not logged in.

Suggestions on reverting back to QWERTY.

• Started by badchiefy
    • 5 Replies:

Hi,

I started colemak about 5-6 months ago. I've enjoyed my time with it thus far but I have some issues that I need to work out. When I was typing on QWERTY I was at an average speed of 85-90 wpm. After 6 months with colemak I am only at around 65 and make around twice as many mistakes as I ever did on qwerty. Would you suggest that I revert back to qwerty or stick with colemak and hope that my speed and accuracy increases to that of my qwerty speed. Everything I've read seems to suggest that my speed should be back to normal by now. Thoughts?

Thanks

davkol said:

Welcome!

Do you practice? If so, how?

I've recently found out that even small, but regular bursts of practice make a big difference. For example, three tests at 10fastfingers.com every evening contributed to 5+ wpm gain in only one month in my case (after more than two years with Colemak).

I've been using TIPP 10 typing(https://www.tipp10.com/en/) for most of my practice. I'll go through the training lessons and open lessons. I usually practice about twice a week but am actively typing throughout the week as well. I almost feel like I am trying to type too fast and maybe that is the cause of my issue on accuracy. I'm also not sure I like how 10fastfingers works, they don't include punctuation in their practice modes and give you a higher wpm minute than something like typeracer.

Last edited by badchiefy (09-Mar-2014 00:51:36)
    davkol said:

IMHO the point of using 10fastfingers is focus on common trigrams, while keeping meaningful words.

I tried TIPP 10 last year, but didn't like it, mostly because it was too German-centric and lacked content and stats compared to Amphetype.

Never thought about trigrams, I guess TIPP 10 isn't working for me, I'll have to try 10fastfingers and see how it goes.

How much is "twice as many mistakes"?  That's important!

The prevailing wisdom is that accuracy should be 98% at minimum.  Type slower if needed.

You focus on speed, that's not right. You should focus on accuracy instead. Speed will steadily increase on its own accord.

Try to keep accuracy >=98% at all times. With low accuracy you can only make errors faster than ever before.

Last edited by Tony_VN (11-Mar-2014 08:45:57)

I realise this thread is a bit dusty, but I can tell you when I switched to Dvorak many years ago, I hit a plateau around 60-70 wpm that I wasn't able to overcome until around my 1 year mark.  I eventually hit ~100 wpm, but it took a lot longer than I was expecting. 

If I was you, I would definitely stick with it.  It may be frustrating now, but you'll get over the hump.  Just keep practicing and set some goals for yourself.