• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • [SOLVED]where did caps lock key go (in Windows)?

[SOLVED]where did caps lock key go (in Windows)?

• Started by Porgy
    • 6 Replies:

Hello again, everybody!
    Sorry to bother, but after a quick search in the Forum proved fruitless, I thought I might ask the experts themselves.
    I want to enable the CapsLock key the same way it was in QWERTY layout. How do I do it?

In Windows, I have Dreymar's Portable Colemak program in C:\Program Files\PortableKeyboardLayout_DreymaR\PortableKeyboardLayout_DreymaR. I enabled one line in the pkl.ini file that says:

layout = colemak-eD-It_ISO:Colemak[eD]-Italian

and I created a shortcut of pkl.exe in Window's taskbar. What can I do to have the caps lock key working?

Last edited by Porgy (15-Aug-2014 11:56:48)

Okay. You'll have to redefine the CapsLock key in your layout.ini file (in the layout folder), and you'll have to stop using it as an Extend key. Myself, I disable the CapsLock key and use it as Extend so if I want to backspace I'll have to press Caps+O but then I can do all other kinds of cool stuff.

So in the layout.ini file:
    - Find the line with 'extend_key = ' and change its value to 'disabled' (I think, or choose a key name like 'Scroll')
    - The 'CapsLock = ' value should be 'BACK    VirtualKey'
    - If you want to you could use the Backspace key for Extend? It's called 'Back' and defined with 'SC00e = '.

I use a shortcut to pkl.exe in the 'Startup' folder; that way PKL is run whenever I log in.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hello Dreymar!
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I tried what you suggested but it isn't working for me. I found the layout.ini file inside the layout subfolder and modified 2 lines that now look like this:

extend_key = Scroll
    ;extend_key = CapsLock

;CapsLock = OEM_8    0    --    --    *{CapsLock}    *{LWin}    --    ; Caps Lock
    ; *** Using 'CapsLock' as 'extend_key' works best if it is mapped but otherwise disabled
    CapsLock = BACK    VirtualKey    --    --    --    --    --    ; CapsLock
    ; *** To make a key work with the 'extend_key' modifier, it needs to be virtual-mapped as below.
    ; *** When VirtualKey-mapping the BACKSPACE/ENTER keys, use their enumerations BACK/RETURN.
    ; *** Remapping the TAB key is problematic: Alt-Tab becomes 'sticky', needing Esc to get out.
    SC001 = ESCAPE    VirtualKey

I rebooted Win7, activated Colemak then tried the CapsLock key but it's not working!
    What am I doing wrong? Can you please help me out?

• You have left some '--' entries after 'VirtualKey'; they shouldn't be there (but the semicolon and what's after it should be okay).
    • Check carefully that you have no other 'CapsLock' lines active (not preceded by a semicolon).
    • Make sure you have the right layout.ini file (pertaining to the layout you're using, so in your case inside the 'colemak-eD-It_ISO' folder).

You don't need to reboot windows! Restarting PKL or switching layouts back and forth (if you have a second layout chosen) is enough.

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Aug-2014 19:52:12)

You have left some '--' entries after 'VirtualKey'; they shouldn't be there

I've taken them off, thank you for pointing it out.
    I've tried rebooting Win7 and launching Colemak - this time, pressing CapsLock key acts like an additional Backspace for the left hand. I don't want that, I want it to make every letter that I type thereafter, a capital letter. Maybe 'CapsLock = ' is supposed to be something else...?

Oh bother, sorry. I thought you wanted the Colemak-type CapsLock-to-Backspace key! Must've been someone else who had that request and I didn't read your post properly.

To restore the original functionality of CapsLock, you'll want to disable it as Extend key like you've done, and simply put a semicolon in front of its definition line (no matter what the rest of that line says). That way PKL does nothing to the key and it works like before.

Wunderbar! Thank you for your help, Dreymar!

• Index
      • Technical
      • [SOLVED]where did caps lock key go (in Windows)?