• You are not logged in.

down to 10 wpm from 105 average wpm & concerns

• Started by oxysoft
    • 13 Replies:

After much thinking, I have finally gave in to Colemak and gave up my 105 average wpm on the qwerty layout.
    The very first day was very frustrating but I feel like I can find my way a bit easier now. The amount of movement is greatly reduced and I love that.
    The letters I really stuggle with are F, P, I and O, and L and U. Oh man the pain I and O are giving me.

The only concern I really have is that some words are subject to extreme same hand typing, like 'minimum'. Do we learn to get used to it?

Beside that, loving this layout so far!

July 10th:
        wpm goal: 5
        wpm result: 10, 11, 11, 9, 13
    July 11th:
        goal: 10
        result: 21, 20, 21, 18, 20
    July 12th:
        goal: 15
        result: 22, 26, 23, 22, 24
    July 13th:
        goal: 20
        result: 28, 29, 27, 25, 27
    July 14th:
        goal: 25
        result: 36, 35, 35, 34, 37
    July 15th:
        goal: 30
        result: 44, 45, 40, 42, 40
    July 16th:
        goal: 35
        result: 50, 45, 46, 48, 45
    July 17th:
        goal: 40
        result: 54, 51, 50, 52, 49

All results from 10fastfingers

Last edited by oxysoft (18-Jul-2014 19:01:51)

There will always be some words that are pessimal for any given layout. 'Minimum' can indeed be interesting in Colemak, but that's not really important unless you're a mathematician working with topology all day. In that case I'd either practice it until it flows regardless of its relative awkwardness, or cheat and make a macro for it (for instance using the Extend mappings in PortableKeyboardLayout).

If your productivity suffers from low WPM, consider using one or some Tarmak steps to soften the blow. But you're already into the big leap so maybe you're fine with it!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I second the Tarmak suggestion; take a look at it before you commit too deeply to cold turkey.

oxysoft said:

The only concern I really have is that some words are subject to extreme same hand typing, like 'minimum'. Do we learn to get used to it?

Well, I doubt there are many long-term users who would say no.  But even though 'minimum' isn't the best word ever, look at how much better it is compared to QWERTY (which I presume you did get used to).

lalop said:

I second the Tarmak suggestion; take a look at it before you commit too deeply to cold turkey.

oxysoft said:

Well, I doubt there are many long-term users who would say no.  But even though 'minimum' isn't the best word ever, look at how much better it is compared to QWERTY (which I presume you did get used to).

I'm fine with cold turkey actually, I have a lot of time to waste during the summer, might as well learn a new layout that will make my life better in the end. And yeah, you're right about minimum in qwerty actually.

Progresses for today:

July 11th:
        goal: 10
        result: 21, 20, 21, 18, 20

To be honest it was only when these words were brought to my attention on this forum that I noticed these "same hand words". Another couple of examples are "starts" on the left hand and "likely" on the right. So yeah don't overthink it just roll with it :).

At first in Colemak there is a lot of slow, slow, quick quick, slow typing going on and the fast words don't seem to make for the slow ones, a car driving at 60mph for half the journey and 30mph for the other half will be slower than a car driving at 45mph the whole way.

The Colemak layout is designed to be very efficient with the easy common words and the advanced words will trip you up. But as you become more competent the overall speed of your typing should smooth out and hence your average typing speed will increase slowly but surely over time. That's my take on it having been a Colemak typist for just over a year now with no regrets.

Twoddle said:

To be honest it was only when these words were brought to my attention on this forum that I noticed these "same hand words". Another couple of examples are "starts" on the left hand and "likely" on the right. So yeah don't overthink it just roll with it :).

At first in Colemak there is a lot of slow, slow, quick quick, slow typing going on and the fast words don't seem to make for the slow ones, a car driving at 60mph for half the journey and 30mph for the other half will be slower than a car driving at 45mph the whole way.

The Colemak layout is designed to be very efficient with the easy common words and the advanced words will trip you up. But as you become more competent the overall speed of your typing should smooth out and hence your average typing speed will increase slowly but surely over time. That's my take on it having been a Colemak typist for just over a year now with no regrets.

I believe you are right. Qwerty has a lot of weird words as well but we barely notice them because we are used to it.

I have been making very nice progresses and I believe ~32 avg wpm in 4 days is pretty good

July 14th:
        goal: 25
        result: 36, 35, 35, 34, 37

As I become faster and faster though, making progresses becomes substantially harder and I had to try harder today to achieve these results. Looking to break the 40s now!

Some nice progresses today

July 15th:
        goal: 30
        result: 44, 45, 40, 42, 40

I've been going through The Change (TM) for a while myself (8-12 weeks?)

I was supposed to be taking typing tests every day and keeping practice in Qwerty but haven't. After I hit around 50wpm I quit bothering heh.

There will be new typos you'll have to adjust to (your Qwerty typos had become second nature... so your new ones will stick out sorely).

I had some finger / joint pain for the first couple weeks, but that was prolly due to stressing finger muscles as learning the new layout (standard new thing = tensing muscles etc).

"cut" has been frequently typo'd to "cud" lately for me.  D and F were common problems for me as well.... but not so much now.  Folks have said that P and G can be an issue, but I've generally not had any issues with them.

I'm not sure what my most common typo / mistake is now.

One handed typing (art program keyboard shortcuts, eating, game controller, etc) is really weird cause you DO have to look at the keyboard - and thus translate key positions based on Qwerty keys (keeping typing positional instead of "qwerty N = colemak K").

Am I happy with the Colemak layout ? Fuck yeah.

Progresses are starting to slow down a little, I'll have to work twice as hard

July 16th:
        goal: 35
        result: 50, 45, 46, 48, 45

As long as I don't go under my goal, I'm good

Last edited by oxysoft (18-Jul-2014 19:02:00)

Curious, was your 105 average also from 10fastfinger or a different site?

Also, progress does indeed slow down but you should honestly be making steady large progress for the first 2-3 months.  After that progress usually drops down but you should still gain wpm every month.

The speed curve is similar to a log curve, so please don't try to practise harder and be disappointed. If you could increase speed by 1pm each day, after a year you would type at least 365wpm.

So it's been a while since I posted here. I started slacking off a bit as I got back into 45-50 wpm because it was enough that I could type stuff at a reasonable rate. It has been a month and a half and my speed is at an average of ~80 wpm right now, though I actually got 90 today!

Here is the full graph of my adventure so far

kVyW0lE

2014-07-11: Switch to colemak
    2014-08-29: Achieved 90 wpm

Also, I'm a Linux mint user at home and have Colemak enabled at all time but is there something I can carry on my USB key that would let me use Colemak somewhere else? (Windows) Something that doesn't require any Administrator permissions also since this is mostly for school. Thanks

Tony_VN said:

The speed curve is similar to a log curve, so please don't try to practise harder and be disappointed. If you could increase speed by 1pm each day, after a year you would type at least 365wpm.

Oh yeah, definitely. I just try to get the most out of everyday so I can get back to my original speed as fast as possible.

For Colemak at Windows computer, try this
    http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe

You're certainly doing better than me: I started 6 months ago, from 100 WPM QWERTY and am now only up to low 60s in Colemak. I've plateaued before, so I'm not too worried about the long run, but still; it's slower going than I was expecting.