• You are not logged in.

Colemak, Servers and VM

• Started by wussboy
    • 7 Replies:

Hi everyone,

I use the PKL on Windows 7 at work. Everything is great unless I log into a remote server, or use an OS image in VMWare. Then it reverts to standard Qwerty. Is there any way to be able to continue to have my keys converted to the Colemak layout?

I use PKL because I like the Alt/Alt deactivation, but I'm certainly willing to use another method for Colemak.

I did a bit of searching on this forum, but didn't find any information. Any help would be appreciated.

I would run colemak.exe inside a Windows OS VMware :

http://www.mediafire.com/?c84idcqnvt10y2y

Last edited by Tony_VN (15-Mar-2011 07:55:09)

Slightly off topic.  If you login to your server over ssh, you keep your client side keymap.  Which means I don't have to worry about this server side.

Not sure which layout is used with Xforwarding.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

Not sure which layout is used with Xforwarding.

The one from the X server (ie. the connecting client).

I run PKL on my virtual machine as well as on the host machine. Then I don't notice switching back and forth.

Not sure if it'd work and it may be too drastic for your tastes (or for your workplace's security settings), but maybe a registry remapping would carry over to terminal and virtual input? It's pretty low-level at least.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Mar-2011 15:39:02)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I've found the answer for RDP sessions lies in not making the session full screen. As long as it's just maximized, PKL continues to work as expected. Just wanted to throw that FYI out there in case there's anyone else who has to RDP into other servers all day long like I do! :)

Wussboy my RDP sessions are never in FS mode but I still have to use QWERTY on all my sessions, did you change anything else?

In case anyone discovers this post, I will update it.

The answer? Use the registry bindings included with the install package. Then you can type in VMs and RDP sessions without issue. Much easier than using PKL.