• You are not logged in.

Proselytizing

• Started by jonhines
    • 6 Replies:

So, I've been at this Colemak thing for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it. My wife says she can't remember the last time I was so passionate about something (which is probably a sad commentary on my life and possibly my marriage). I'm routinely breaking 60 wpm and 96% accuracy (and still improving). Not lightning fast, but equivalent to my QWERTY speeds.

Anyway, my question is this: how do you convert people? I have been an advocate but have not yet persuaded anyone to join me. I'm a patent attorney so typing is a huge portion of what I do. Yet, while my colleagues all think this is really cool and interesting, none actually want to try it out (not even on Tarmak, which is how I switched). I also don't want to be an annoying douche that preaches keyboard layout all the time. If they don't want to do it, I can't make them.

Any advice for getting others to switch, or should I just not worry about it?

Only very few people know about the fact that my keyboard-layout is in colemak instead of qwerty. The people who do know it, mostly found out by trying to type on my laptop and looking like an idiot :D.

The main reason that so little people know is because I think that colemak is something quite hipster-y, and I'm quite anti-hipster. I've never tried to get someone to use colemak, because frankly, I don't see the massive advantage of it if you're able to type qwerty on a decent level (60wpm-ish). It's fun and all if you're into it and like to set yourself a challenge, but for most people it's just not worth the effort. The real WPM-limiting factor is not the keyboard-layout, it's mainly the speed at which you're able to think about what you're going to type.

So in short, if you're enthusiastic about it, tell people about it! Just don't bother to get them to switch.

Cheers

Welcome! :-)

I have an image of the layout on my phone so I can show it to anyone interested. Sometimes I mention Colemak in conversations, but I've probably not convinced more than one person (in person).

I've thought about getting a Colemak T-shirt of some kind. If anyone wants to make one based on my designs, let me know and I'll bless it and probably help them make the image the way they want it. My images support ANSI/ISO and lots of tweaks.

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Feb-2015 09:25:11)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

It's a good question. It would be nice to increase the awareness (and ultimately take-up) of Colemak, but at the same time there is a need for caution as most people are resistant for various reasons, and as you say, it wouldn't be good to sound too preachy about it.

I normally tell people about it when they see my keyboard, and explain the failings of Qwerty (which people do get), but I wouldn't try to persuade anyone to switch. I figure if they are sufficiently interested they will make the decision on their own.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Yeah, these responses are pretty much what I expected, unfortunately.

To me, it's like if you got a new job and everyone did things ridiculously inefficiently. You then explain this much easier and better way to do things. They say "but we've always done it this way." That's not a good excuse, at least in my opinion, especially if you have a job that requires a significant amount of typing. But, I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.

New plan, we need a gazillionare to donate a set of Colemak keyboards to every school in America. Perhaps that would kickstart it. Anyone a gazillionare?

Davkol: I find your lack of faith disturbing... ;-)

BoardWarsCrawl.jpg

Nah, kidding. I agree, some money for actual keyboard science would be totally awesome. Just consider what Saied Nesbat (creator of MessagEase) came up with using science!

Last edited by DreymaR (12-Feb-2015 12:18:01)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

You can't convert people, you have to bit a odd to learn Colemak after you've learnt Qwerty and you will lock yourself out of everyone else's keyboard unless you revert to hunt & peck.

I taught myself to touch type in Qwerty up to around 65wpm average in 3 months and then decided to switch to Colemak because I thought it would be more comfortable and faster. It probably took me longer than 3 months after that to reach and surpass my Qwerty speed. Now I'm at around 75wpm average 2½ years later. Had I stuck with Qwerty I reckon I would have reached that speed as well so you can't use speed as an excuse to switch.

Comfort is another matter and it's definitely quieter because so many words roll nicely. although I still have an issue typing 'you'. I would change to improved Colemak but that would make me even odder than I already am.