• You are not logged in.

Num Pad Plus to a Comma

• Started by jonhines
    • 3 Replies:

So, my wife just surprised me with a Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate (with blank keys, which is awesome for Colemak). I had mentioned that I wanted a mechanical keyboard and so she found one on sale recently. I absolutely love it, I am becoming a typing nerd.

Anyway, the point of this discussion is that I have a num pad for the first time in a long time that I am starting to use. I find it really useful because I type a lot of patent numbers which are long numbers set off by commas. The problem is that the num pad only has the period and no comma in it. Since I also use the period and the dash in combination with numbers as well I would like to change the plus key to a comma. I have had no such luck, though. Karabiner has an option to change the num pad plus key, but the only choices are shift, command, control, and option. I might be able to customize the XML on Karabiner, but I have no idea how to do that. The keyboard layout in my macbook does not show a num pad, so I can't try to change it over there either.

Anyone know how to do this?

Well, I figured out a work around. Using the Keyboard Maestro Editor, I was able to set up a macro that triggered by the pressing of the hotkey Key Pad +, it pastes in a comma. It's not a complete keyboard remapping, but it does work and the pasting is very fast. If anyone has a better answer, I would still be interested.

We can delete this thread or leave it in case anyone has the same issue in the future.

Always state OS. Well, it's Mac isn't it. But still.

And sorry, I don't know my way around that OS...

But do leave the thread, by all means. It's not like we're drowning in threads and this one now has a useful solution in it. :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Feb-2015 19:06:13)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Sorry, excellent point. Mac OS X 10.9.5