• You are not logged in.

I LOVE this layout!

• Started by dune
    • 6 Replies:

I was touch-typing in QWERTY with about 80 wpm since Jan 2013. Since I'm studying computer engineering I spend a lot of time at my computer programming and I became increasingly unhappy with QWERTY's awkwardness. In Nov 2014 I decided to learn Colemak. It was definitely a good choice. This layout just makes so much more sense than QWERTY.

I switched cold turkey and practiced on average an hour a day on keybr.com (it was the holidays :P). The result: I went from 80 wpm QWERTY to 80 wpm Colemak in 3 and half weeks (both these speeds are keybr.com's average speed per day using lower case only lessons). The letter change I struggled the most with in the beginning was 's'. Although not the reason I switched, the thing that I am most grateful for Colemak is Caps Lock being Backspace, the other backspace used to hurt my pinky finger. I am faster on Colemak than I ever was on QWERTY.

Unfortunately lately I've been having to use other Windows computers at university and cannot get the portable Colemak version to work on them which is frustrating. I try to use Linux as much as possible since I have completely forgotten QWERTY and have to look at the keyboard to type.

Welcome Dune. I switched at about the same time and have had similar success (though you have a faster QWERTY and Colemak speed).

As to your problem, I know some have had success with a hardwired mechanical keyboard in the Colemak layout from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ but I can't personally attest to them. You'd also have to carry around a keyboard with you which might be more trouble than it's worth. I use a Das Keyboard 4 with blank keys, but I still have to have the Colemak layout enabled on my computer.

Good luck.

Last edited by jonhines (17-Feb-2015 20:16:41)

Have you tried PKL? (See my sig topic)

The last resort short of a hardwired Colemak board would be to make an Arduino or similar device. Could be fun if you like electronics!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Indeed I have tried PKL and it works fine on most computers but not on the university ones. :(

Could you be tempted to build this?

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1561&p=2

Hey, dune!
    I think it may be some kind of security measure - you know, to not run any external applications so no malware could get in, or something.
    Have you tried to copy PKL's folder and run it from computer instead of running it from pendrive?
    Also, since it's Windows - try clicking with right mouse button on .exe file, and go to properties. Under attributes (like hidden, read-only; i.e. look at the bottom part of the first tab) there could be (but not certainly is) info that the file is from another computer and may be blocked. Click the button to unblock it and see if it changes anything. (I myself only once encountered problem with that Windows' 'blockade' but it was infuriating - I tried everything before I noticed it...)
    Or hack those computers...

There may certainly be security measures that disallow PKL/AHK. For one, it uses Windows API calls (VBasic) that some skittish virus programs automatically suppose are bad news. I've had trouble with that, using harmless code I wrote myself. Also, some university computers I've seen have disallowed the use of pen drives – or at least, copying or running from them. So it's no surprise that PKL doesn't work everywhere... but still annoying of course.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/172wfck9.aspx