• You are not logged in.

CAPS to Delete in Mac OS X Mountain Lion?

• Started by Zweedeend
    • 12 Replies:

Hej,

I have been using the Colemak layout for a while, including the remapping of the Caps Lock to Backspace. I updated my Mac to the latest version of the operating system (Mountain Lion), and now my Caps Lock is a Caps Lock button again. I guess Double Command and PC KeyboardHack are no longer working.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this? I really don't like typing in All Caps whenever I try to delete.

The problem is solved: I only had to wait for an update of PCKeyboardhack. Everything works fine again

Hi!

I've used PCKeyboardHack 8.0.0 to change capslock to key 51 (delete), but am still unable to get the key to autorepeat. Any advice on this issue?

Many thanks

To get autorepeat for capslock working, I use PCKeyboardHack as described elsewhere. Then in your standard Keyboard Settings, click the Modifier Keys button at the bottom. For Caps Lock, select No Action.

This works for me on OSX 10.8.2.

dodecahedron said:

To get autorepeat for capslock working, I use PCKeyboardHack as described elsewhere. Then in your standard Keyboard Settings, click the Modifier Keys button at the bottom. For Caps Lock, select No Action.

This works for me on OSX 10.8.2.

This worked for me too. Thanks very much!

There are several free programs that allow keys to be remapped. Keep in mind when an OS is updated sometimes small, free software can't keep up with the changes and may lag behind a bit or have a couple bugs. So if one of these stops working with an OS update, it pays to keep checking back as the problem may be resolved fairly quickly.

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

Is there any difference between win and mac for this? I was thinking about getting a macbook in addition to the win I just got, but I was wondering if there would be subtle differences between the two as is the case with adobe.

I am having trouble getting the caps lock key to move to another key. I finally took up switching the caps lock key to a backspace and I like it. My problem is that I still use the caps lock a lot and need to transfer it to one of the lower right control/command/option/whatever keys that I never use (currently I have no caps lock, since it is now delete). Seil says it will do this, but it's not actually working. Anyone have any advice on this.

Karabiner should be able to do this for you if I recall correctly.

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

Karabiner seems to, but I can't get it to work right either. Every time I remap another key to be act as a capslock button, this somehow over-writes the remapping of the actual capslock button. So, for example: I used Karabiner to remap my delete key (in the six over the arrow keys) to act as the capslock button. This works fine, the delete key toggles capslock; however, the capslock button now does too (instead of being a backspace key).

Note that I'm using Seil to remap the capslock key (because Karabiner won't), and I have my capslock key set to "do nothing" in the Mac settings. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

This happens because you map capslock to delete in Seil and the delete back to capslock in Karabiner. I don't have a machine to test, but I believe the solution is to map Capslock to something obscure trough Seil. And then remap that obscure button to delete with Karabiner, while mapping the real delete to capslock.

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

Oh man, that sounds complicated, but I will give it a shot. Thanks