• You are not logged in.

Colemak and Synergy

• Started by Bebef
    • 4 Replies:

Hi everyone!

Maybe someone knows this issue... I'm using Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/) to work with a Linux and Windows machine at the same time. I have configured both machines to use the Colemak layout and when using the hardware keyboard (or the on screen keyboard) everything works as expected. However, with Windows as the client, I can't use comma, period and slash any more. I see that the key event reaches the slave but Synergy can't map those events to the proper keys.

DEBUG2: msg from server: DKDN

DEBUG2: readf(%2i%2i%2i)
    DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 44 (0x2c)
    DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 0 (0x0)
    DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 59 (0x3b)
    DEBUG1: recv key down id=0x0000002c, mask=0x0000, button=0x003b
    DEBUG1: mapKey 002c (44) with mask 0000, start state: 2000
    DEBUG1: find best:  2000 0000
    DEBUG1: best key index 0 of 1 (exact)
    DEBUG1: found key in group 0
    DEBUG1: state: 2000,1000,1007
    DEBUG1: flip: 1000 (2000 vs 1000 in 1007 - 0000)
    DEBUG1: no key for modifier 1000
    DEBUG1: unable to match modifier state (1000,1007) for key 51
    DEBUG1: can't map key
    DEBUG2: writef(CNOP)
    DEBUG2: wrote 4 bytes

DEBUG2: wrote 677 bytes

Maybe someone here uses a similar setup and knows how to fix this problem...

Cheers
      Steffen

I'm not familiar with this setup, but it sounds like you could have a mismatched keyboard type definition somewhere. Windows has different VirtualKey codes for ANSI and ISO keyboards and it affects some symbol keys like Slash. Shouldn't affect comma/period in theory, though...

How about the key left of 1 (backtick), does that work for you? And backslash?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

How about the key left of 1 (backtick), does that work for you? And backslash?

I forgot to mention that the keys work when using the shift modifier, so I can get < > ?

Every single other key works, too. Its just , . and / which won't work any more :(

Right. Sorry about the wild stab there. :-D

Looking closer, what happens is that your key comes through normally but with a modifier state of 2000 which seems very odd. Looks like a big fat bug to me!? When pressing Shift, maybe the modifier state is then set to something sane (obviously, the Shift state) which rescues those strokes. If you have AltGr mappings for those keys, same thing I guess.

For the sake of curiosity, could you try in your Synergy setup to add some actions like

keystroke(period) = keystroke(period)
    keystroke(comma) = keystroke(comma)

Or, for that sake, try remapping some other key to send a period/comma keystroke and see what happens?

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Mar-2015 11:01:18)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

Or, for that sake, try remapping some other key to send a period/comma keystroke and see what happens?

I did try that. I would see even wilder modifiers (like Alt and Ctrl as individual keys) then.