• You are not logged in.

Colemak + dual BlueTooth Frogpads

• Started by sand
    • 5 Replies:

I have a lefty and a right frogpad - see www.frogpad.com

They are the BlueTooth models and don't have any USB or other connection options.

I would like to map the left pad to the left half of the colemak layout and the right pad to the right half, unless someone can think of a really good reason why I shouldn't.

How do I begin?

I like the dual keyboard setup, so I will be trying this with some USB keyboards soon.

• Shai
    • Administrator

There's a recent thread on the FrogPad forums discussing this issue. You might have better luck finding your answers there.

yes, that's me :-)

I am thinking I'll have to grab the data from each Frogpad separately (identifiable by MAC address) and then remap the characters before the data from each pad is combined.

I don't have any idea how to do this and I'm willing to chip in a bit of cash for someone else to work on it.

• Shai
    • Administrator

Now that I think about it, I have serious doubts it will ever work well.

* You might not be able to use the Symbol/Number/Shift keys. They might not send a key signal until you press the combo.
    * Even if it would work, I don't think it will be possible to coordinate a modifier key on one hand, with the other.
    * The operating system supports only one keyboard layout at a time. You're trying to use two different keyboards, with two different keyboard layouts.
    * The FrogPad isn't designed for this kind of usage. You'll have to chord for a lot of keys with one hands, even though you'll be typing with both hands.

If I were you I would give up on the idea, and ask for a refund. I imagine that the keyboard makers have already thought about this idea. A quick research came up with Combimouse. Combimouse isn't available yet, and I don't know if it's any good, but I'm sure we'll see similar keyboards available in the near future.

That Combimouse looks scary - too heavy and I want a grid layout.

I'll probably just get one of these: http://www.typematrix.com

and I'm considering on of these: http://www.datahand.com

Thanks for your response, it's a shame the Frogpad won't work, as it would be ideal. -oh well.

Perhaps two of the Targus mini wireless Numeric Keypads would be ok, as they feature unsynchronised numlock - so I could just numlock one of the units and remap characters accordingly.
    https://www.stretchnow.com.au/products/ … eypads.htm

• Shai
    • Administrator

You're going to have the same problems with the Targus mini. I can't give recommendations on keyboards, because I use a standard laptop keyboard.