• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Decided to learn Colemak - will update here frequently

Decided to learn Colemak - will update here frequently

• Started by Coldmak
  • 46 Replies:

hm that's interesing...definitely will give that a try when doesn't comes up the next time. Oh wait, it just has. Yeah but I think it's probably gonna be like it was with people, which sucked initially but now that I'm used to typing it, it's actually not a big problem.

On another note, I just reached an average of 61.5WPM :DDD. With a high of 66.7WPM. First time over 60, it has been 34 days now since I started Colemak. 70WPM is next!

Fun to see your progress. We started pretty much on the same date, I did it cold turkey and you did it using Tarmak. And now it's a month later and we're on the same speed. So it didn't matter much in the end anyways I guess.

But congratz, getting speeds over 60 WPM surely is a good sign!

fucking finally! Reached >70WPM!

@koekestrommel1

yes I guess it doesn't, although I'm guessing more people push through with Tarmak cause it's not as harsh as going completely cold turkey..

-------------------------------------------------

As you can see in the chart on page 1, there is a gap after day 40. At that point I had Amphetype open for > a day and my computer crashed, which resulted in a loss of data. You can see quite clearly the jump in speed, but unfortunately it's not due to superhuman overnight improvement, but rather the lost of mentioned data.

Reaching 70WPM feels great with my highscore being 78.6WPM at the moment. I'm probably still gonna collect data until I reach 80WPM and then stop for now. I already surpassed my former qwerty speed by at least 5WPM on average so I can highly recommend anyone to learn Colemak.

Just 2 days short of the 3 months mark, I reached 80WPM average. Definitely got lucky there as well. However, this will probably be a legit average in 1 month time. The book I'm typing at the moment is Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahnemann. This is definitely harder than the one I was typing before, as you can see from the dent at day 64. Lots of names, numbers, and symbols like percentile, dollar, etc.

Not sure if I continue practising with Amphetype, as I only wanted to do so until I reach 80WPM. On 10fastfingers I generally score between 76 and 80 and on typeracer around 75. I haven't typed Qwerty since I started learning Colemak 3 months ago, and quiet frankly I think I'm a little scared to see how much I suck at it now :P

Coldmak said:

Just 2 days short of the 3 months mark, I reached 80WPM average. Definitely got lucky there as well. However, this will probably be a legit average in 1 month time. The book I'm typing at the moment is Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahnemann. This is definitely harder than the one I was typing before, as you can see from the dent at day 64. Lots of names, numbers, and symbols like percentile, dollar, etc.

Not sure if I continue practising with Amphetype, as I only wanted to do so until I reach 80WPM. On 10fastfingers I generally score between 76 and 80 and on typeracer around 75. I haven't typed Qwerty since I started learning Colemak 3 months ago, and quiet frankly I think I'm a little scared to see how much I suck at it now :P

You should stop practicing now. You may not feel fatigue yet, but you sure will if you continue to max out at these speeds.

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

I would not stop practising unless I haven't got enough time or motivation for it. If you practice a reasonable amount of time daily, you shouldn't get fatigued. And if you reach close speeds to your original Qwerty speed (or surpass it) and you stop practising, chances are that you'll stop improving as well. On the other hand if you keep up the practising, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that your progress will continue, even if it's slower. It all depends on your goal.

Simply posting in this forum, or doing a typing test are exercises. Each day I do several hi-games.net with different times, just for fun.

80wpm after 3 months is very good speed. You definitely feel the Colemak comfort by now. Focus on accuracy, and the speed will steadily increase.

Last edited by Tony_VN (02-Oct-2013 02:54:32)

Thanks for the input guys, I will probably tone down the practising a little bit, but keep it up every day. When typing, I generally notice that read the word that I'm writing. I will start playing around with reading 1-3 words ahead of the word I'm typing as I have a feeling this will allow me to make better progress.

Last edited by Coldmak (03-Oct-2013 08:11:55)

So over the last two weeks, my daily average was around 75WPM, occasionally spiking through 80WPM. My record speeds are usually >80WPM for any given session but today marked the day where I came close to 100WPM. Achieved a speed of 95.8 on the following paragraph:

"That is because their attention is focused on the content first and the details second. When describing the same meeting, these two different types will frequently focus on completely different things and disagree on their interpretations."

very easy short paragraph, I know, but still, getting close to 100 in a little over 4 months makes me happy :)

Great speeds man! Do you still practice a lot on a day to day base or just type on stuff you actually need to type for?

thanks, actually just scored a 95.1 again :D Yes, I try to practice for 30 minutes at least every day. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less, more often it is more though. I think practice even if it's just 30 minutes, helps a lot with getting better. You're getting immediate feedback, can look up the words you're struggling most with, and want to beat your old records. I would definitely recommend doing that every day, even if you can just manage to do 10 minutes.

Hey guys, happy new year!

Just reached 90.4WPM for the first time in average over the last ten Amphetype sessions. I've got a macbook last month and changed books, so there was a slight dip in speed, but got used to the new keyboard pretty fast. I reckon it's probably gonna take a lot more to get to a constant 90WPM but I'm planning on going the distance.

Normally I'm just on Amphetype but sometimes for fun I go for 10 sessions on typeracer and usually score 80 +/- 2

Plateauing hard at the moment with Amphetype speeds of 80WPM. On typeracer I ususally score an average of around 85WPM with the odd 100 something here and there. 10fastfingers I don't really use, but this was my result from trying once after doing some typeracer sessions before:

97_500_0_0_92_3_96.98_4058_134208

// edit just tried a second time:

98_505_0_0_88_3_97.22_3731_134182

Last edited by Coldmak (12-Feb-2014 15:19:03)

I'm still plateauing on Amphetype but for some reason am not plateauing on 10fastfingers...

109_565_0_0_107_4_98.76_1692_136437

Great to see the result. Finally the Keyboard God listens to your prayers and He asks 10fastfingers to give you an easy text.

Last edited by Tony_VN (21-Mar-2014 04:09:50)

when on 10fastfingers the keyboard god always seems to listen to my prayers ;)

However, had a new record in Amphetype today, 111.5 WPM. Of course this was also on a easy paragraph:

"I would want his heart and mind to be filled with the pleasant memories of deep, meaningful times together. I would want him to remember me as a loving father who shared the fun and the pain of growing up. I would want him to remember the time he would came to me with his problems and concerns."

Last edited by Coldmak (14-May-2014 20:31:41)

IIRC, 10FF word pool is more limited, which might be skewing Amph vs 10FF ?

How do you do in type racer or other speed tests ?

I should prolly load up Amph at home and use it to practice / read something meaningful heh.

Grats on breaking 100wpm!  I can't wait to get to the point to where I can type in Colemak as fast as I think... is especially handy when coding :D

Alternate between many speed tests (online and offline) would be good.

@unfy

on typeracer I usually oscillate between 87 and 93 WPM for the last 10 races.

So it's been a year and roughly three months now since I started learning Colemak and I have to say I never looked back. I haven't touched Qwerty since, so I'm very slow on that layout.

I haven't been practicing on a daily basis since May so improvements have been very very incremental. Just finished 10 rounds of typeracer with an average of 97 WPM.

Getting to 100 WPM will probably take another year or so, but we'll see.

Can highly recommend learning Colemak!!!

I'm coming up on two years with Colemak in July.

I'm not actively practicing any more and my speed hasn't improved because of it.

Just did a couple of races on Typeracer and mostly scored in the 90s. With the odd high 70 and > 100.

All in all I'm happy with it :)

(Bugger! I've had five years of Dvorak, and my speed has levelled out.  I can't seem to push past 100WPM.  Probably average around 70WPM. What is good is that I think less and less about typing.   I don't dedicate any time to practice any more, apart from the day job.)

Last edited by pinkyache (12-May-2015 01:06:54)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

• Index
  • Experiences
  • Decided to learn Colemak - will update here frequently