• You are not logged in.

Inverting number row with symbols...

• Started by nito_owl
    • 8 Replies:

How can I invert the numbers and the symbols?
    I want it to where I don't have to press the shift key to input symbols.

I searched but could not find a solution, sorry if it already exists somewhere.

edit: I am on a mac

Last edited by nito_owl (19-Jun-2015 05:21:13)

@nito_owl, welcome, please state your operating system version.  And possibly your existing keyboard layout.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

@pinkyache Thanks, I am currently on qwerty but making my change to colemak. :)
    It would be nice if I can apply the change on both layout.
    operating system is yosemite

It looks as if the mac instructions could do with being refreshed here:

https://colemak.com/Mac

(@forum: Or rather on newer versions of OSX, that have Colemak baked in, is there any need for the download?)

Perhaps you could use Ukelele - to create your own Colemak and Qwerty layouts?  Their website was revised last year, so looks active (ish).

Last edited by pinkyache (19-Jun-2015 09:39:26)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Yes, the colemak on yosemite is set as one of the defaults.
    I was looking for more of a software or terminal way to swap the numbers with symbols, but I guess there isn't a easy way?

Figured it out.

For people curious about this on Mac, download Keyboard Maestro.
    From there, make a new macro to where it inserts a text (in one of many defaults).
    Literally took me about 5 minutes.

Cheers!!!

That was just what I was about to suggest! Sorry you had to figure it out the hard way. Just realize that this is not a perfect solution and these macro's don't always work for all programs and situations (though I can't say exactly when and where off the top of my head). I use one to replace the "+" on the numpad with a comma.

And actually, now that you say this, it is an interesting idea. Since I have gone back to using the numpad, I use the numbers along the upper row substantially less. I may give this a try.

Yea, I'm a developer, so I almost always hold down shift to use the symbols. Plus, I have a numpad as well.
    Even if you don't have a numpad, you can still use numbers by holding shift(if you created macros for it).

One thing I noticed is that when I type the symbols, it's coming from Edit>Emoji & symbols (Control+Command+Space).

Edit: I was wrong, it's actually just pasting the symbols. So not a complete remapping obviously..
    This works for now, but if anyone has a permanent solution, I would like to know.

Last edited by nito_owl (19-Jun-2015 20:31:04)