• You are not logged in.

Help typing in Chinese with Colemak

• Started by Lofty
    • 4 Replies:

I never learned to touchtype on qwerty and earlier this year I switched to colemak and am now touchtyping at about 75 wpm. I am in my third semester of Chinese in college and so occasionally have to type in Chinese. I am on Windows so I can easily use the built in language tools. My only problem is that it seems that I can only use qwerty. This makes typing in Chinese painful and I have to look at my keys going very slow. I am already not very good at Chinese, I don't need my keyboard making it worse. Thanks for your help.
    Edit: I am using Windows 7.

Last edited by Lofty (07-Sep-2009 05:40:45)

Since no one has responded I have found a less than ideal solution. Instead of installing colemak if I just use the .exe provided by Ryan Heise both english and chinese are converted to colemak.

Sorry about this tread. I just found out about changing the registry to remap the keys and that there were already very convenient ways to do that.
    See the following:
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?pid=5820#p5820
    https://colemak.com/Registry_remapping

I got the same problem. I am now studying Chinese for 3 years

You could try using PKL which converts your input before sending it on to the system. That should work with the language tools although I haven't tried it (it's similar to "Ryan Heise's .exe" mentioned above, but with a menu and some nice tricks added).

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Jun-2015 06:45:55)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***