• You are not logged in.

Switching to Colemak

• Started by RykerHaun
    • 5 Replies:

So after a very not fun RSI incident (#missedfinalsweek), i have been looking to switch to a better keyboard layout. I tried Dvorak, but i could never get it down and always went back to qwerty (which i am typing this on...sorry). And I have been using Colemak for about two days and it seems like a REAL improvement over QWERTY (loving the Caps Lock as Backspace. Genius!). I am using the program TypeFaster and am on level 2. I was going to try Tarmac but decided to go the Day/night route. (switching to colemak now) I am getting much better comfort than qwerty did.

good luck! i never tried tarmak. took me about 3 months with colemak before i switched over from qwerty

Yes, welcome. I did use Tarmak and found it very easy and smooth to transition with. If you have trouble with your day/night alternating you might give it a try. The comfort of Colemak is really the main advantage, so I think you have a lot to gain if you stick with it.

With RSI, make sure you also pay a lot of attention to your ergonomics. Colemak has helped me a lot, but also I've switched to a evoluent vertical mouse, and a kinesis advantage keyboard. Both have made a big difference. If I were in your shoes, I'd at least get the mouse. Most important is that your wrists don't have a bend in them.

Best of luck learning Colemak! It took me 2 years to fully internalize Colemak to the point where it is completely automatic, but it was totally worth it!

I know that it has been a while but progress has been made! I can say that I can type much longer with Colemak than I could with Qwerty. I also switched to a MX Blue Keyboard and heightened my desk.

Great! Switching layouts and making sure you have proper ergonomics is hard work, but totally worth it!