• You are not logged in.

Questions from a Dvorak user

• Started by jc0481
    • 2 Replies:

I started reading more about Dvorak after I saw the keyboard layout in Windows and looked it up. The rest as they say is history. I do like the Dvorak layout but something that can make me faster and still use the qwerty keyboard is another advantage. Is it really that much faster than the Dvorak layout?? I do want to ask those that have switched from Dvorak. Was it worth it and why?? I am a little skeptical. Hope somebody can prove me wrong.
    When I do a switch at work using hotkeys is it system wide or when I switch to a different program will it default back to qwerty?? That's how it is now when I have Dvorak running and switching to Microsoft Word it goes back to Qwerty.

Is the Colemak still A LOT better than the Dvorak layout when you don't switch the caps lock key??

Thank you

JC

For the Dvorak user, the Colemak will not be A LOT better. The difficulty of switching is hard to predict - it depends on whether your last switch (QWERTY to Dvorak) is still in your motor memory which will help you, and whether you've gotten so ingrained with Dvorak that it'll hinder and confuse you.

I switched quite a while ago and I'm not faster than I was with Dvorak. In fact, I used to train a lot with Dvorak which I haven't done with Colemak and I was slightly faster with Dvorak (about 60 Dvorak WPM as opposed to 55 Colemak WPM, on a TypingMaster 3 min test). Whether Colemak is objectively faster than Dvorak is almost impossible to find out unless someone pours a few million bucks into a scientific study. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

By "hotkeys", do you mean the AutoHotKeys? In that case, no it isn't systemwide but simply a resident application so whenever you're not running that you're back to QWERTY (do not run the AHK program over a Dvorak setup because then you won't get Colemak but gibberish).

The Colemak has infinitely higher cool points.  ;)

I switched, and I'm very happy I did. YMMV. Your call.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I only learned Dvorak for a week but was annoyed at the slow progress. Dvorak and QWERTY are completely different so switching from QWERTY to Dvorak, one would need to relearn typing completely, but Colemak only changes a dozen or so key positions. I found it much easier to learn to type in Colemak than in Dvorak, but that was just my own experience, could be different for others.