• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Any problems switching to Colemak at work?

Any problems switching to Colemak at work?

• Started by jc0481
    • 2 Replies:

The more I read about Colemak. The more I like it. I like the fact that Dvorak is built into the operating system. Colemak should do the same in the future I was it was sooner. I'm asking that question because I am not sure how Colemak can deal with certain programs that dig deep into Windows. I hope that makes sense. So is it a good idea to get a flash drive I have one currently and put autohotkey on it correct? Is that the only thing I need to put on the flash drive? My other question is the ones that have switched to Colemak at work. Has it been smooth or some bumps along the way??

Well for me it was a smooth transition...I have Colemak autohotkey on my flashdrive and on my website (http://s.ittips.net/Colemak.exe) that way if I forget the flashdrive I can quickly download and use it. It's very simple, no installing/uninstalling is needed.

However, if I have no access to Colemak at all, I can still type fast enough with qwerty when looking at the keyboard.

Why not make fewer but deeper topics instead of spreading over a whole slew of topics? And why not read around a little - the answers to many of your questions are already to be found on Shai's pages and in relatively recent forum topics. Just friendly advice. It's nice to see that you're enthusiastic about the topic of layouts.

AHK won't work with the "deep-digging" programs as it stands now, and it may not run well aside some more complex programs (in theory). A layout install will, except for a few rare apps - and those are really concerned with key POSITIONS rather than with the letters on them anyway. Some odd games come to mind.

When migrating around, AHK is pretty much the perfect solution. You can autorun it from the flash drive (it still asks for confirmation, but it's very nice). I'm working at an improved AHK script with added functionality, but so far it's been slow progress.

At my workplace, I have a computer (or two) that I'm the sole master of. There I've installed the layout and made it the default. It also keeps those sneaky colleagues away, hehe. For good measure, I switched to a completely unmarked black keyboard since I'm not watching the keys anyway - a bit of a hassle with the special symbols, but all in all worth it for me. For all the other comps I work on, there's AHK. But if I'm to do something minor I'll just hack it out in QWERTY, which is a bit slower than it used to be obviously but not bad (as long as I look at the keys - the "QWERTY-on-autopilot" is not active these days although I think it could be retrained if I wanted to but I don't).

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Oct-2007 07:48:24)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • Any problems switching to Colemak at work?