• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • PKL and weird Windows shortkeys (ctrl-f and more)

PKL and weird Windows shortkeys (ctrl-f and more)

• Started by pieter
    • 3 Replies:

I use Windows and Linux. And I use a custom layout (not Colemak but an AdnW-variant).  On my Linux computers, using a custom layout is not a problem: I have a modified xkb-file, which works flawlessly.

On the Windows machines I use the Portable Keyboard Layout (PKL), which DOES cause trouble:

- most shortcuts do not recognise the new mapping of letters. For instance, my AdnW home row is   RIEAOGDTNSK   In other words, I put the letter R on qwerty A.  But, when I want to "select all", I have to press ctrl and the oldA. 

- but, even weirder: if I press ctrl and the new A (which is on the qwerty F position), Windows does not "see" a ctrl-F, but performs a ctrl-N (new window)  ???

- and yet other times, Windows does nothing, but ignores the shortkey.

So, to summarize, with shortkeys:
    - sometimes Windows still sees the old qwerty-key (which I do not want)
    - sometimes it performs a different action, not belonging to the old qwerty-key but neither to the new key
    - and other times Windows completely ignores the short key.

The behaviour I want would be like Linux does: always use the new key definitions, also when typing shortkey combinations. Any hints ? Where should I look ? Thoughts ?  THANKS

You probably have a bad layout file. Have you checked the VK mappings?

Also, bear in mind that if you switch system layouts PKL might get confused (mainly if the different system layouts have different SC mappings which doesn't happen often).

Also, there are different input modes. Some programs aren't cool with the normal input flow; you can set PKL to use another mode with those (there's an ini file for this but I haven't used it).

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Aug-2015 12:00:35)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you Dreymar. To my surprise, I just found out that Win - key (e.g. Win-E) respects the new mappings. So if I want to see the Windows Explorer (Win E), I press Win and the new E. Win- new L  locks the screen, like it should. The strange thing is, to unlock I have to type my password using the old keyboard (?)......

I have to dive into it further.....

Last edited by pieter (26-Aug-2015 12:11:37)

Well, the win key seems to have a separate hook or use the input stream directly or something. It seems to have been latched onto the system machinery instead of integrated with it. :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Aug-2015 15:09:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • PKL and weird Windows shortkeys (ctrl-f and more)