• You are not logged in.

My results after 30 days: 104 WPM

• Started by ryanheise
    • 8 Replies:

This was a little experiment I ran to see how fast I could reach 100 WPM, while retaining my ability to type QWERTY fluently. I am surprised to see how easy it was to adjust to Colemak from QWERTY, and also to be able to switch back and forth. My progress was logged here:

http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak/

After the first 30 days I decided to slow down a little. By now, my best record is 109 WPM, which you can find at:

http://www.ryanheise.com/typing-test/

BTW, that is a new typing test I recently created which allows you to click on a record to watch a replay. I made it since I wanted users to be able to say which keyboard layout they used so that we can see which keyboard layout is really the best (over time, I hope to see Colemak in the #1 spot ;-)

Oh, and thanks, Shai, for causing my addiction ;-)

Awesome progress Ryan, 100+ wpm in a month is astonishing!

(Today's day 64 of my switch, and I only managed 51 wpm in your test.)

Okay, that's just unfair.    I did a measly 40 wpm.  On TyperA I do around 32 wpm.   I like your program better but I doubt I will help secure the number one spot.  Since I started from not being able to touch type all (just two fingers looking at the keyboard),  it's pretty clear that a good Qwerty touch typist gets a huge step ahead when going to Colemak.

Your morning ritual is certainly an interesting tip for those who want to switch but not lose their Qwerty skills.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (22-Oct-2007 21:28:14)

Great work, Ryan! I'm afraid I won't be taking the #1 spot on your test just now, but we'll all be trying I'm sure...  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

My latest progress over different test durations:

30 seconds: 144 wpm
    1 minute: 132 wpm
    2 minutes: 130 wpm
    5 minutes: 126 wpm

Very nice.  Until þe fast people come on, I can be 4þ place on þe þree new tests.  But you are blazing.

Go Ryan, residing typing test Colemak champion!!!

I like the diverse durations. Quite different thing to type for 1 minute and 5 minutes, I feel.

One request while we're on the topic of your typing tests: I'd like to be able to click the name of a game from a person's high score list and get directly to that game! Currently you can click the 'watch replay' link to see that person's score reenacted, but there's no direct way to the game in question from the high score page. Let's say I watch my high scores (or someone else's) and decide I'd like to give the 1-minute one another go for instance. Short of drop-down menus to all the games, that'd be a neat way of navigating to the game in question.

Above the typing test there is a breadcrumb trail:

Home > Typing > Typing Test: 1 Minute > Replay of ...............

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can click on "Typing Test: 1 Minute" from a replay page and it will take you back to the test.

No, that's not it. I'm for instance looking at the 'Home > Members > Ryan Heise' page and see under the 'Highscores' heading that, say, your 'Typing Test: 2 Minutes' record is a paltry 130 wpm!  ;Þ  I'm thinking, 'hah, I want to try that!' and press on the text that says 'Typing Test: 2 Minutes' hoping to be transported to that game by link magic.

It's actually happened many times and each time I manage to forget that there isn't a link there as I was hoping/expecting. Yeah, you may call me a slow learner...

[Oops - another observation: You never told us that our old preferences were wiped, so now it looks like I made a personal high score using QWERTY. That won't happen, heh.]

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Jul-2009 15:58:52)