• You are not logged in.

Colemak user for 3 days

• Started by Surgikill
    • 3 Replies:

Hey guys. I'm using keybr.com to learn colemak. I;m lucky enough to have a pok3r keyboard that has a built in colemak layout. How long does it usually take to progress? The website I'm using automatically ads new keys into the mix as your typing improves. Right now I'm at 8 keys (only 18 more to go, yay!) I was just curious. I've been putting in about two hours a day and would like to be able to have the whole keyboard unlocked with a week or two. Thanks!

Have you looked at Tarmak? With that you can type whatever you like, mostly. It changes 3–5 keys at a time, and people have done the whole progression from 9 days to months, depending on many factors.

The main idea of Tarmak is to not hurt your productivity much, letting you go on with your daily life and typing while you transition to full Colemak. Also, the first steps are the most beneficient so you start to get a better typing experience quickly. Check out my sig topics.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

keybr.com is a good site. I did use Tarmak, which is a different approach, and loved it. It sounds like you're having good progress on keybr.com, though so I would probably stick with that if I were you. Assuming the 8 keys you have are the home row, the rest should be fairly easy.

I used keybr (Still learning colemak)

I have been using it for 18 days now, 8 hours of colemak according to the stats. I rarely use it for work yet.

It took about two weeks to get all the keys. I started with like 8 or something, typing about 25 wpm. Since then my average speed has increased to 40, but realistically it's higher now. (My average is 50 today, for example, full keyboard)