• You are not logged in.

Starting to use Colemak

• Started by Protanly
    • 16 Replies:

Hello all. I am Protanly and have currently switched over to Colemak layout. (In fact, I am typing with Colemak right now!)

This is my fourth day in (I started mid Saturday) of going cold turkey on the layout.

I am currently averaging 30-35 WPM with the layout, which is snail speed when I think of my 85-100 WPM I am used to getting while touch typing on QWERTY. I feel as if that is the hardest challenge right now in a sense. Knowing how fast I could be, knowing that I am choosing to be slow.

But 30-35 WPM isn't all that bad either. At least I am at the point where I can get things done with the layout, even if it is just incredibly slow. I feel that with some practice, I can easily get back to where I once was (But with the added comfort that Colemak brings!)

I'll keep posting updates on where I am at as I continue along this journey. Like I said, this is only Day 4, and there are many more to go.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to say that I am fairly young at only 16 years of age and therefore might look silly wanting to learn something like this. I am an avid computer user who dual boots Windows and Ubuntu (Which is nice since Colemak comes built into Ubuntu). I mainly want to learn this layout so that I can be proficient at a layout built for computers that is comfortable.  (And possibly pick up some speed due to having to relearn to type, though I'll be happy just getting my normal speed back.)

Thanks for reading!

~Protanly

Last edited by Protanly (29-Sep-2015 13:00:02)

You've heard of Tarmak I hope? People who don't want to miss too much speed have used it to make the transition smoother. But preferences vary of course.

See my sig topics for more info. If you choose to use any of my stuff you'll have to install my files, but at least I have files both for Windows and Linux. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

That sounds like pretty good progress to me after only 4 days. Yes, let us know how you get on...

Hmm, it is especially good to learn an optimized layout while you're still young. As well as new things generally being easier to learn at a younger age, you also get the benefit of a nearly full life of optimized keyboard use, as opposed to some of us relative oldies who "wasted" so many Qwerty years. (Well, unless keyboards get entirely replaced by something in a few years time, but I wouldn't count on it!).

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Being an avid computer user myself, even I can feel the punishments of qwerty on my typing, especially the darned S key being only one key over and still being on the home row.

And I have heard of Tarmak, it is just that I'd rather learn it outright, especially when I already memorized key placements.

My troubles as of right now are probably:

- S key placement (It is too easy to want to hit that R key)
    - For some reason, I always hit P and L out of order....
    - The stupid J key. While not common, is a really weird stretch... G for some reason works fine.
    - Times when I go to hit the qwerty N key.

Not too shabby though. Call me an elitist.. Maybe I am... I just want to use a keyboard layout that makes sense to use.

I'll keep this updated in the following days, weeks or months.

I'm just trying to stay on the mission, especially when reverting to QWERTY seems too easy.

On a second note, If anyone knows of any places where I can just practice common words without interruption, that would be amazing.

Here are some tests if anyone is interested. It's my current peak so it has very positive results... But it is something:

http://thetypingcat.com/typing-speed-te … 5954e2e9b5

Last edited by Protanly (29-Sep-2015 14:43:43)

Your frustrations are all understandable, and they'll pass. P/L is a case of the P jumping over to the other side of the board, and S you understand (but it's necessary according to Shai!). The J is in a bad place and it should be, being a surprisingly rare letter. Keep in mind that your more common Y is now in a better place instead! You learn the improved keys most easily, as they are both more common and in better places than before. The rest will sort itself.

I quite like 10fastfingers.com for their common-word focus and light, entertaining style and options. For mileage training, I use Amphetype to type in entire books (but it can also be tailored for common or problematic words).

typing-test_1_BS.pngVisit the Typing Test and try!

Welcome to the party! Just stick it out and all of your proficiency will come back. 35 wpm after 4 days is a great start. All of those annoyances will fade into the background eventually, just focus on precision over speed. The speed comes with precision.

35wpm after 4 days is very fast, took me a good month to achieve the same, although I took a much more leisurely cruise through the Tarmak back-waters..

When I started out learning to touch type, my speed was as slow as molasses, to the point I prayed for the day I'd hit 30/40 wpm.  You are doing really well already.  I'd wager that you'll regain your speed in a matter of months if you carry on at that rate.  I practiced common words, and I think that helps.  I copy pasted them into a text file (and randomised the order, and ordered them by ending) and loaded them into Klavaro.  But you could paste into other programs.  Good luck!

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Perhaps try some word lists I compiled here: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1647

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

--

Quick update: I'm starting to use Colemak proficiently enough that I can keep up in class with notes. I believe my average typing speed as of right now is now in its 50's, which is quite amazing.

It isn't until you get to a slightly higher speed such as this that you really start noticing the benefits a ton and when you do it hits hard.

As of right now, I'd say that I either type words slowly or almost by instinct (Fairly quickly), however then again, those are generally words that become common to what I need to type for notes...

You've shown very fast progress. For exercise, try 1000 common words or something like that, it will make you type faster in average, since these common words has higher appearance frequency.

Last edited by Tony_VN (09-Nov-2015 13:42:23)

typing-test_1_BX.png
    After almost six weeks of colemak, 3 weeks exclusive I'm still only about half as fast as I was on qwerty :(

Last edited by bombdiggity (10-Nov-2015 00:09:41)
    bombdiggity said:

After almost six weeks of colemak, 3 weeks exclusive I'm still only about half as fast as I was on qwerty :(

You should focus on accuracy (98% or higher), the speed will increase gradually.

don't get too despondent - that speed has taken me 2 years

Most likely you'll reach at least 100 WPM shortly if your QWERTY speeds really were 150 WPM. Check out Ryan Heise's conversion story if you wish.

I think that former typing speed with another layout is the main determinant for Colemak speed after a little while. So your "generic typing skills" will help you greatly.

that is definitely true