• You are not logged in.

New colemak user

• Started by scoskey
    • 6 Replies:

Just thought I'd share!

I am actually switching over from Dvorak, which I had been using for 15 years. I wonder if I am being helped or hindered by having switched before...

In order to make the switch, I first reverted to qwerty for a month or so. I then started learning Colemak in the evenings using keybr.com. After a few days I was up to 30wpm and switched at work. Now it has been a week or so and I'm up to around 50wpm. I still need some more speed and consistency, but all in all, a fun and reasonable transition.

Welcome! I hope you have a lot of fun like me. I too went from Dvorak. It was a mixed experience, there are both advantages and disadvantages to a prior switch in my experience. But it's all settled now. :-)

Given that, Tarmak probably isn't for you I guess. But do look into my sig topics and consider whether you'd like the DH-mod for instance. Other things like Extend and Wide(-Angle) can be mixed and matched more freely.

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Dec-2015 13:19:11)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

@Scoskey, Why u leave Dvorak?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Fine transition. What was your Dvorak typing speed?

Sorry for the delayed reply! (I thought I would get email notification for your replies.)

I switched from Dvorak because I was intrigued by the idea of reducing same-finger combinations. I also liked the idea of being closer to Qwerty and becoming more expert in both at once (this hasn't happened yet).

I'm not completely sure what my Dvorak speed was (I should have measured *before* I got into this!). From feel I would guess it was in the 90s (in ideal conditions such as no punctuation), and I am now almost there in Colemak.

I am interested in the DH-mod because I believe in its benefits. I guess former Dvorak users are a good target for DH-mod because we were not satisfied with 93% of the benefits of Colemak (or whatever it is). But I'm not ready for it yet because it's soon and I also like being on a "standard" layout. (I mean plain Colemak is standard in the sense that it is included in OS's and also in typing tutors.) I guess I'm still ok with having 98% of the benefits of Colemak-DH-mod (or whatever it is :)

Last edited by scoskey (31-Dec-2015 23:29:27)

It's okay to wait with the DH-mod and learn it later if you want to; it didn't take me too much time and effort. But if you're really interested in it, I suggest doing it right away nevertheless. It's more pleasant to learn the best option for you right away than to relearn later. It does of course depend a little on your usage: If you really need to use only system-included setups then DH-mod is not for you (yet). But on Windows, PKL makes it so easy to implement and use whatever you wish. And on Linux there's always my Big Bag. Also, the wonderful Extend mod depends on both these implementations anyway... ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (01-Jan-2016 16:26:16)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

scoskey said:

I am interested in the DH-mod because I believe in its benefits. I guess former Dvorak users are a good target for DH-mod because we were not satisfied with 93% of the benefits of Colemak (or whatever it is). But I'm not ready for it yet because it's soon and I also like being on a "standard" layout. (I mean plain Colemak is standard in the sense that it is included in OS's and also in typing tutors.) I guess I'm still ok with having 98% of the benefits of Colemak-DH-mod (or whatever it is :)

I know where you are coming from, when I first started learning Colemak I wanted to stick to the "standard" version.  Even though from my research on the various layouts,  I was aware of the DH issue and the Workman criticisms right from the start. But I wanted to use a recognised and mature layout, so I stuck with standard Colemak for many months.

As it turns out, changing your keyboard layout is more like a journey than a single decision. Especially if you hang around these forums. You end up having your mind opened to all sorts of cool stuff such as the Extend layer, angle mod, wide mod and what not.  It's very easy to end up deviating from standard Colemak - the problem is, there are just too many brilliant, innovative things you can do! The benefits end up outweighing the small cost of being "non-standard".

And once you're no longer on standard Colemak, you might as well apply the DH mod too!

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.