• You are not logged in.

What layout is Shai Coleman using?

• Started by BullHorn
    • 7 Replies:

Hi I'm new!

It's easy to assume that Shai is using the layout that he invented, ..but does he? After a decade of this existing, does he still stand right by this layout or maybe he has moved to something else?

He uses Colemak, last I heard (some months back). Haven't heard about any mods, so I'm assuming he hasn't jumped on any of those wagons like I have. :-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Being it's creator, it would be unwise for him to use anything else, using the dog food principle.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I wonder if David Piepgrass still uses ASSET? :-) Or the creators of other layouts that fell along the wayside, are they still hacking away at their brain children? I should think so.

Soon, I feel that Norman and maybe even Workman will be lesser-known, as Colemak-DH takes over their territory? ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Jan-2016 13:47:15)

(Less of the assumptions.  No harm in asking.)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I emailed Shai and asked him this question and whether he uses any of the mods you guys created here - and his reply was default vanilla Colemak. :)

DreymaR said:

I wonder if David Piepgrass still uses ASSET? :-) Or the creators of other layouts that fell along the wayside, are they still hacking away at their brain children? I should think so.

Soon, I feel that Norman and maybe even Workman will be lesser-known, as Colemak-DH takes over their territory? ;-)

Hmm interesting. Despite Norman being the weaker of those two, I think it may actually have more of a niche than Workman. Because relatively few keys change finger, it should be a fair bit easier to learn.  For people who wanted to improve their layout with minimal learning effort, it may have a place.  Workman on the other hand is technically stronger, but looks harder to learn yet produces a less good result overall than Colemak-DH!  (...in my completely unbiased opinion of course!).  Therefore if you wanted the best experience possible, even if you subscribed to the Workman view of things, then Colemak-DH would be the better choice! 

(EDIT: Well, I suppose with DH there is still the ANSI problem. But then, Workman and Norman are designed assuming non-angle-mod, unnatural finger technique which is also non-ideal)

It would be interesting to know how many people have actually taken up any of the DH mods. It could easily still be just a tiny handful.

Last edited by stevep99 (24-Jan-2016 16:47:54)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

So far it's just a handful, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, the villainous Norman and Workman are out there trapping newcomers in their Dungeons Of Inferiority. ;-) We have to keep on improving documentation/implementation, for the sake of the survival of the known universe goodness of typing for non-trenchers! Hurry, SteveP, to the typemobile!

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Jan-2016 11:58:37)