• You are not logged in.

Layout icons for Mac

• Started by endaka
    • 9 Replies:

I decided I had enough of the rather hideous default icon that represented Cmk on my Mac and made a replacement. It's not gorgeous. In fact, it's very strongly inspired by the Dvorak icon, which means it's quite ugly. However, it also means that it's very easy to add a little national flag to it (to show which international version you're using) which makes it almost pretty:

picture2rr7.png

Without the flag it's somewhat less exciting:

picture3vd7.png

In any case both were very easy to make - I used a great, free application called Pixen and IconComposer available as part of Apple Dev Tools - and I presume are very easy to modify. To install, just put the .icns files where you put Colemak.keylayout.

You can get it all here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/65413379/Co … s.zip.html
    or here:
    http://files-upload.com/files/583395/Co … 0icons.zip

Shai- I think you should considering adding an icon (not necessarily this one!) to the standard distribution!

Edit: Shamelessly ripped off vilem's enhancement - rounded edges which look like this:
    picture1cj8.png

You can get this version here:
    http://files-upload.com/files/584241/Co … unded).zip
    (You might need to copy and paste the link into your browser)

Last edited by endaka (27-Oct-2007 13:40:02)

Nice job!
    I tried something similar ages ago, but I couldn't find IconComposer.. Now I have a mac since 2 days (12" PowerBook G4) and I'd love to have a go at this myself. Where can I find IconComposer?
    Oh, and, the file doesn't seem to be able to download for me. Weird, I will try to again later.

Ah, I have to download the apps from apple, eh?

Last edited by vilem (26-Oct-2007 17:53:36)

I think it looks nice, especially with the flag. Simple and effective.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I put in a new download link in the first post. Hopefully that will work better.

Congratulations for your Mac vilem. IconComposer should be in Macintosh HD/Developer/Applications/Utilities, provided you installed Developer Tools. You can download them from the Apple website. Please do share your creations :)

Last edited by endaka (26-Oct-2007 23:10:05)

new link still doesn't work for me.

OK added another one, hope that will work...

Are you using leopard by the way? I was a bit disappointed by it... Nothing revolutionary, as Walt Mossberg said: "Leopard is Evolution, not Revolution". They could at least have added cmk support out of the box. Anyway, thanks endaka, for making our menu bars a whole lot more sexy! colemaksexygc4.png

I just made a German cmk. I'll upload the file later on, but what should be of interest here is the icon:
    colemakgermanln0.png

Cool vilem, cheers for that. You rounded the edges of your German icon - I did the same to the first Cmk icon I had made and uploaded an additional version to the first post. I think it looks much better!

Yep I'm using Leopard--I quite like it in fact; I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary and Leopard is faster (!) and has a lot of pleasant surprises lurking here and there. Unpleasant surprises include Safari crashing every time I want to upload a file (!) which I hope will be fixed soon.

Vilem - your icons for "show character palette" look different to mine, did you do anything to them or is my system behaving funny after its numerous upgrades?

endaka said:

Vilem - your icons for "show character palette" look different to mine, did you do anything to them or is my system behaving funny after its numerous upgrades?

I'm still using panther at the moment, it has different icons for that. ;) In fact panther was the newest version of OS X when I started using it. My laptop is really quite old (867 MHz G4) so I can't decide wether to upgrade to leopard or 'just' tiger. I'll maybe try installing leopard and see how it goes, but if I still can't play back DVDs with future updates, I'll stick with tiger, at least on my 12" PB.