• You are not logged in.

programmer colemak?

• Started by data5
    • 7 Replies:

Are there any official programmer colemak? I made my own with some inspiration from programmer dvorak and personal coding experiance.
    The empty key between O and ? is a backspace and caps is enter, the enter is too far away on a ISO keyboard I think.

regular I use ctrl+s too much :)

shift

altgr

No, there aren't. The Colemak take on it is to keep the symbol keys as they are in the US layout – or change them to whatever suits you! Symbol/number keys just aren't a part of the core layout, which is nice because it gives modularity. (The exception to this is the semicolon key which has to be moved from its QWERTY position.)

There are, however, many cool mods out (see for instance my sig topics). The distance to the Enter key is improved with Wide mods, for instance. Also with the marvelous Extend mod! I think my Caps+O Backspace may be just as good as yours, without disrupting the apostrophe position? And the Caps+Space Enter flows very naturally for me.

Some design attempts have been made for coding-friendly AltGr mappings. The optimal coding layer(s) for you may depend on language usage, though.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Jan-2016 12:05:59)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

man ISO layout is so garbage. Why not buy an american keyboard?

Because you can't use any of the most popular keyboard mods as effectively, like Angle-mod, Wide-mod and others. I personally discovered the need for Angle-mod as a QWERTY typist, and I'm sure it affects Dvorak typists just as well. If anything, I'd recommend going Angle+Wide (fixing the ZXC angle, getting closer to Enter and Backspace and AltGr/R.Alt) regardless if you're a programmer or not.

Here's an example from Dreymar's bag of tricks:

Cmk-ISO-AWide-35_60d_FShui.png

I think from here you set yourself up to a much more effective layout. Unfortunately ANSI forces you to accept some annoying drawbacks when attempting these mods.

@DreymaR, BullHorn thanks for the reply and hints. @bombdiggity I can't buy a laptop with ANSI keyboard in sweden.

After one hour of using wide mod I must say that it feels much better than standard layout on a ISO keyboard with the enter closer. To have the middle keys for brackets is a big plus and the altgr key is much more thumb friendly.

Last edited by data5 (26-Jan-2016 19:10:03)

Bombdiggity, that's the most uninformed comment I've seen on these forums in ages. :-þ

Data5: Glad you like it! We aim to please.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Huge ass enter? noty.

Yes, make your own programmer layer using right-alt / AltGr!
    As has been mentioned, with the wide mod this is better still.

Here is mine for reference:
    Programmer layer

Highlighted characters are dead keys for creating accents in the unlikely event I would need to type such a thing. I find the main benefit is the easy brackets on the home row -- it's worth it for that alone!

Last edited by stevep99 (25-Feb-2016 14:26:39)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.