• You are not logged in.

Introduction to the various ergonomic mods

• Started by stevep99
    • 5 Replies:

It has been mentioned a few times previously in this forum that we are lacking a simple introductory guide to the various mods people use. Newcomers to the forum have sometimes said they get a bit perplexed/overwhelmed with the terminology, references to mods, etc.

Since I had a bit of spare time over Easter, I decided to take it upon myself to create such a simple reference guide. The idea is just to give a brief explanation of each mod, what it's for, and then provide links to implementations or more detailed discussion elsewhere. 

This is what I have so far:

https://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/

Feedback welcome, I am up for making changes/additions - especially I feel there are probably more links to relevant information that should be added.

Last edited by stevep99 (30-Mar-2016 18:51:07)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

This is great. Thank you very much for putting this together. You might also show some example combinations (e.g. Angle Wide). We should also put a link on the main colemak.com page.

Nice, Steve!

For the Wide(Angle) mod, I'd mention/show the 'Slash' variant that has the / key in the old RBracket position. I think it's superior by far to having the common slash key down in the dump.

The Angle mod images are confusing, a lot of info and strong colors. Maybe you could make them with only the changed keys showing, or the non-changed keys grayed out?

And you should of course have a link to the DH-mod page(s) there! :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Mar-2016 13:29:54)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

You must have read my mind - I had already been working on a DH section.

Have done the other changes too, except for the angle mod greyed-out idea. I think that is a nice idea but my tool for generating the images doesn't yet support it. It would be a nice feature  to add though - one for the To Do list  :-P

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Nice! And thanks for showing both DH-mods. ;-)

I'd probably add to the first sentence:
    “DH mods, or Curl Mods, are specific to the Colemak layout although their underlying principle may be extended to other layouts.”
    ... and maybe go on to say in more general terms something like
    “ Their aim is to deprioritize the center columns of the "home row" as these feel much less comfortable to many typists, and instead favour the lower-row positions reachable by a relaxed curling of the index fingers while keeping the wrists straight. Criticisms of the straight home row in the standard Colemak layout have led to the generation of some alternative layouts that may be inferior in other respects.”

Last edited by DreymaR (01-Apr-2016 15:08:19)

Also, you should update your forum sig to point to these pages! :-)