• You are not logged in.

Catchatyou's Results Switching to Colemak

• Started by catchatyou
  • 55 Replies:

*I've used QWERTY all of my life so far (20 years of age).
*I started using only Colemak today (14 hours on and off).
*I dived in cold turkey.
*Using ChromeOS, elementaryOS, and OS X
*This is about what I expected at this point...my brain is tired from all of the mental gymnastics so far.

On QWERTY, I am able to get up to 109WPM on Typeracer, so hopefully it doesn't take too many weeks to get back up to speed.

Day 1 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 16
Highest WPM  - 20

Last edited by catchatyou (24-May-2016 07:22:31)

I only typed maybe a handful of hours today, but I am noticing an ever so slight improvement, both in speed and comprehension.

Day 2 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 19
Highest WPM  - 22

I'm starting to get the hang of it!  I typed maybe 8-9 hours today.

Day 3 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 26
Highest WPM  - 29

Welcome, that's some good progress.

Welcome! Be sure to browse my Big Bag signature topic to see if there's anything you'd like to add. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I am sorry for not updating the past few days; things got really busy really quickly.  Thanks for the suggestion DreymaR!  I'll try to properly check it out tomorrow if I can find the time.  I almost broke the 40 WPM barrier!

Day 6 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 33
Highest WPM  - 38

Still some improvement each day; I finally broke past 40 WPM in a typing test!

Day 7 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 37
Highest WPM  - 40

I did plenty of typing for a Saturday, probably around 8 hours.  I look forward to continued improvement.

Day 8 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 40
Highest WPM  - 43

I haven't typed for too long on days 9 and 10, and I noticed it when I went to type today.  Some of my old muscle-memory tried reverting to QWERTY in certain words.  I got really lucky on Typeracer today, and the final test (I usually run through 10 typing tests before writing this each day) was very easy to achieve high speed, but there is still slight improvement.

Day 11 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 41
Highest WPM  - 48

I finally got around to your Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks DreymaR, and there's a bunch of neat information in it!  I particularly liked the QUICKIE, and even though I have no need for it currently, I'll keep it in mind for down the road if I ever need it.  While Colemak isn't 100% perfect in my experience so far, it's worlds better than QWERTY, and I probably won't do any tweaking like you've mentioned as I like the stock Colemak experience.

I've had some days of heavy typing and not so heavy typing in-between last post and this one.  Miss-hitting certain keys is still frustrating, but it's becoming less frequent.

Day 17 results:
Average WPM - 49
Highest WPM  - 54

Blimey, you were quick with Qwerty, and after 17 days on another layout, are rapidly approaching my average speed.  That looks pretty good from over here.

Last edited by pinkyache (07-Jun-2016 07:29:35)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I'm in the process of programming and testing a QUICKIE! The Hasu USB-USB Converter. It's a wonderful device, although it'd be nice with a little more than 32kB (static) memory to play with. I've implemented two Extend layers (the second one activated by the Tab key; tapping Tab gives its normal functionality) and everything's dandy.

My workplace got a new IT policy that's too restrictive for anything else to work, so I plunged in and bought some of these beauties. I'll be getting back with more results as I progress with it.

You can't really tell how good a new layout is for you until you've tried it for quite a while. Common error. Thing is, there are levels of knowing a layout and at the top levels you automatize common n-grams – some even with alternative fingering. This isn't learned well until you've typed with the layout for some years in my experience. Although some may be much faster to it, you'll need some time at least. So stick with a new layout for at least half a year before you pass judgement, is my advice. I know, a boring suggestion but there you are.

I promise you that Colemak will flow beautifully for you in time. (Maybe even more so with the DH-mod if you're up to it – but you can slap that on later if you feel like it, no hurry.) ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Jun-2016 09:59:24)

Day 22 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 54
Highest WPM  - 59

I did some tests earlier in the day and surpassed 60wpm, but I don't remember exactly how many WPM, so the top WPM for this session is 59.

Well, pinkyache, my average speed of the last ten races on Typeracer on QWERTY were 91WPM, so I haven't been able to consistently surpass 100 yet.  I'm hoping I'll be able to change that with Colemak.  In this transition to Colemak, I've tested my typing speed while logged out of my account as to not affect my numbers, and I'll consider it a success after I reach 100WPM.  I suspect the growth in speed will get smaller over time, but it's nice seeing the progress in speed almost daily!

Having a career where my work is only done through typing certainly helps reach higher WPM quicker!

I have to type for a living, and I struggle to get my WPM up daily.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I typed a huge amount today, probably around nine or ten hours.  It's nice finally working at a pretty normal pace again.

Day 24 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 57
Highest WPM  - 67

Today was another day of long typing; maybe 7-8 hours in total. 

Day 25 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 58
Highest WPM  - 63

Day 27 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 59
Highest WPM  - 69

that is phenomenal progress

i am in no way jealous that it has taken me the best part of 3 years to reach a similar sort of level

Last edited by bph (17-Jun-2016 11:01:37)

Well, I typed a pretty lengthy message, but it somehow didn't go through and sent an error message to my browser, but honestly, you're probably only reading this for the results anyways. :)

Day 28 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 61
Highest WPM  - 68

Day 30 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 62
Highest WPM  - 68

You rawk that layout! :-)

I had a couple terribly slow passes, but the overall results weren't too bad.

Day 32 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 62
Highest WPM  - 70

Day 36 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 64
Highest WPM - 80

Day 41 results on Typeracer:
Average WPM - 64
Highest WPM  - 73