• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Colemak switching experience and programmer mapping trick

Colemak switching experience and programmer mapping trick

• Started by chivinou
    • 4 Replies:

Funny when I went to register on this forum I found I already had a login from a failed attempt at switching 9 years ago.  Time does fly.

Happily things are moving along a lot better this time, while I am not quite at my qwerty speed just yet I am already finding the typing with Colemak more relaxing.  Main reason I think is I spent more time practicing in small doses (1-2h a day) for the first couple weeks, and really doing the typing drills, rather than switching cold turkey.  Another thing is a trick which I actually picked up from another layout and I wanted to share.  As a programmer a good chunk of my typing is spent in the upper right quadrant of the keyboard and with traditional touch typing those symbols would all be typed with my right pinky: [, ], {, }, ', ", =, _ and -, as well as ( and ) which are not typed with the pinky but are an uncomfortable stretch, and let's not forget backspace.  Now before I started learning to "properly" touch type (and learn colemak) I would just move my whole hand over and type those with my index and middle finger.  And that worked OK except I lost my home row position so quite often typos would ensue.  Well with Colemak I wanted to really apply myself to touch typing (plus it was even tougher to keep typing correctly since I wasn't familiar with the layout) so I refrained myself from doing that.  And that was fine while practicing, but after I started using Colemak for most of the day for a day or 2 (writing actual code instead of typing exercises) my pinky was killing me.  So instead what I did is make the caps lock key a mode switch key and assign a symbol to the letters.  For example F is [, G is %, L is backspace, NUIE are arrow keys (caps lock by itself is still backspace but it doesn't repeat anymore of course).  It took a little while to get used to but now I really love it.  It can be done with Xmodmap on Unix and AutoHotkey on Windows.  This could be done with qwerty too of course but I have a very hard time with the same finger digramms that are much more common in qwerty so I was not able to do proper touch typing with that layout.  In concept it is similar to the "extended" mapping from DreymaR though that one is a lot more elaborate.

In case anybody should find that useful I saved the xmodmap and autohotkey files on github: https://gist.github.com/nicocrm/b353393 … e3c760f3be and https://gist.github.com/nicocrm/0afae7d … b4a01b6aa3.

Haha, Colemak must have been still lurking in the back of your brain all that time. I also came across it and subsequently ignored it for many years before returning and eventually switching.

Interesting, you have created a custom layer with symbols on the left and mainly navigation on the right. I agree with the need to avoid moving the hand (especially the right hand) away from the home position to type characters like brackets etc.  Your mapping seems to do this quite nicely. Still, I wonder if you would benefit even more if you had two separate layers, the "Extend" one for functional-type keys (navigation, copy/paste, etc) and a separate layer just for symbols?

There are various options of modifier keys that you could use for this purpose. If you want to compare, my mappings are in my "keyboard tweaks" link.

Last edited by stevep99 (12-May-2016 13:40:06)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

My thought has been to use Alt+Caps and AltGr+Caps for additional Extend layers; the former for a NumPad layer and the latter probably for extra symbols and coding stuff. Also, an Alt+AltGr+Caps layer for hotstrings.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

A numpad layer might be handy!  I was mainly trying to limit the changes so I would not have too much to learn at once... for me parentheses, brackets, underscore and dash are a huge win.  Actually the Caps + C (for escape) and Caps + M (for enter) are super useful too.  I might get rid of the arrows as I don't use them much.  I do have one issue with the way I made the mapping and I think this might be due to xmodmap - the IntelliJ ide is not recognizing many of them (most annoyingly the caps + C which I use for escape, I use IdeaVim, so I really miss that one).

If you don't use the arrow keys much, I'm guessing you haven't implemented home-row modifiers. In my Extend Extreme topic you can see why this makes arrow keys and more very very awesome.

Last edited by DreymaR (31-May-2016 14:03:36)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Experiences
      • Colemak switching experience and programmer mapping trick