• You are not logged in.

Change Left Shift and Left Alt with MSKLC?

• Started by assassassin
    • 6 Replies:

I've been trying to change Left Shift and Alt (technically Left Alt, but with AltGr it doesn't matter), but don't know how to do it. I tried to simply change Alt to Shift and vice versa in the .klc files but it does not work. It would work with a registry hack but  given that Standard Colemak comes with Caps Lock and Backspace changed I figured there has to be an easier way.

Thanks for any help in advance.

edit: I have found this topic (https://forum.colemak.com/topic/870-hac … -capslock/) and it looks promising. Will try that out and post here if I can make it work. If you know how to do it nonetheless, please tell me anyways.

Last edited by assassassin (12-Jul-2016 19:54:12)

And it works. I am amazed that it worked like first try (after deleting a bunch of DLLs in the system32 folder and several restarts).

Yes, Alt keys are easily the best modifier keys available, but Shift is the most common feature needed despite being in an awkward position. I created a page about this.

On Windows, AutoHotKey or SharpKeys should do the job nicely.
    Or, on Linux, the easiest is probably to edit the xkb keycodes file.

My Left Alt is mapped to Extend but I reckon Shift is also not a bad option!

Last edited by stevep99 (13-Jul-2016 17:10:47)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Your solution uses a third-party program though, which isn't something I wanted. I try to use as few programs as possible for anything related to peripherals. Makes it easier to install on another PC and can't mess up with things like games and such. The extended layer is neat, but I am using already programmable 60% keyboard which covers those features with the Fn key.

I am going to have a look into pkl though in the future for a true "plug-and-play" method, but I am happy for now.

If you're dedicated to moving modifiers, a registry hack is indeed what I'd recommend. And SharpKeys, iirc, albeit 3rd party, does nothing more than hack the registry key assignments. But you can do it by hand if you like. It can also be done by user if you don't want to do it globally. But not by layout.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

You can do it by layout. I mean, I got the idea to it by the standard Colemak layout that comes with the CapsLock as Backspace so it had to be possible somehow. I've figured it already out with the link in the first post. The key is to change the modifier in the MSKLC files and then build the layout installer.

Yes, you can do it using MSKLC (but not the GUI, you have to edit temp files and compile). What I was saying is that you can't use the registry remapping by layout. Kind of obvious.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***