• You are not logged in.

Dealing with Vim via SSH

• Started by ipetepete
    • 4 Replies:

Hello all!

I started learning the first section of Tarmak, but quickly found that I need to remap my keys for Vim on those systems (this can be a burden especially if I don't always use my Colemak layout machine).

I was just wondering how/if any of you get around this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Some ways of remapping will remap your key strokes, some will remap what characters a key stroke sends. You haven't told us how you use Tarmak, nor how you find you need to remap Vim keys.

One great advantage with Vim is that it's mostly mnemonic, so a D does what a D does no matter where it's placed. The common gripe is HJKL, but a) there are better ways anyway (such as Extend) and b) you'll get used to it.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you for the reply DreymaR

I was doing some reading last night, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm too dependent on HJKL for movement. I also found *YOUR* Karabiner config with the extended layer. Having the arrow keys at my right hand is extremely useful.

I'll keep at it and do some more learning.

Thanks again.

I didn't make the Karabiner config – I'm guessing you found MKBorregaard's work? But yeah, my setup. Glad you like it! :-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I second DreymaR. I use VIM every day for many hours while programming and also use colemak. I don't remap anything because of colemak and it works great. The only mods I make is that caps lock is esc, and I swap the curly and square braces so I don't have to push the shift key to get a curly brace :)