• You are not logged in.

Windows 10 - "Permanent" change

• Started by roygbp
    • 7 Replies:

Hello,

I'm having a problem with permanently removing QWERTY from my keyboard layouts, as well as permanently removing the hotkey for switching between languages. Every time I restart my computer, QWERTY and that Ctrl+Shift-to-switch-layouts hotkey re-add themselves.

Perhaps its worth noting that I have this problem both on my work laptop as well as my home computer (both Windows 10), which share the same Microsoft/email Account login.

Thanks for any help

Not wanting to go totally off tangent.  But I tried Win 10 at the weekend.  I have no Windows key on a keyboard of mine.  And therefore can't do Windows + Space to change the keyboard layout (I use Qwerty and Dvorak).

I tried to set-up an alternative keyboard short-cut to change the layout, but it appears ignored.  I haven't got a floating Microsoft account.

Windows 10 hasn't been much fun for me so far.  I can't suspend or turn off one computer and I had upgrade/installation failure on two others.  Microsoft's licensing is also still a minefield.

Last edited by pinkyache (08-Sep-2016 10:18:25)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

Not wanting to go totally off tangent.  But I tried Win 10 at the weekend.  I have no Windows key on a keyboard of mine.  And therefore can't do Windows + Space to change the layout.  That is to use another keyboard layout (that isn't Colemak, Dvorak in this case).  I tried to set-up a keyboard short-cut to change the layout, but it seems totally ignored.  I haven't got a floating Microsoft account.

You could use SharpKeys to define some other key as your windows key? 

....or you could avoid using an OS that is so prescriptive :P

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Prescriptive: is that even a good word to describe Windows?

(Edit:  General moan about Windows and layout support in OSs.)

I tried to add another Windows shortcut to switch layouts as here:

http://superuser.com/questions/958901/s … windows-10

That didn't work for me.  I remember not having any joy with this in the past under Win 8 also.

Last edited by pinkyache (08-Sep-2016 09:54:24)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Try to follow this guide to fully get the settings changed - http://kyleholgate.com/windows-10-chang … to-dvorak/

Worked for me, as long as you remove QWERTY in the Language/Keyboard Layouts as well.

Dipping into Windows a few times a year must be gruesome. Like so many other things, appreciation of any OS takes some commitment and familiarity.

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Sep-2016 09:15:10)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'd want to keep Qwerty for other users.

Layout switching shenanigans!

@Dreymar, to be fair I worked for years doing windows technical support (since Windows 3.1), so am used to its idiosyncrasies.  But the UI and admin UI is still pretty pitiful.  One wants to experience joy with a tool, not constant friction and warts.

--

Tools and marriages alike. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***