• You are not logged in.

Yet another Colemak story

• Started by TheGatorade
    • 6 Replies:

I've been typing on Italian QWERTY since I started using computers. I was 5, and Windows 98 was the lastest Microsoft OS around.
    After becoming a programmer I noticed the Italian keyboard was pretty bad for devs..

Italian QWERTY

The need to use AltGr in order to type @ # [] {} is annoying.
    So I switched to US qwerty for a few months, until my wrists started to hurt. Typing 5-6 hours a day everyday with a qwerty is painful!
    I tried to switch to Dvorak, failed, and I tried out Colemak: it felt tremendously good since the first minute.
    4 days later, I was back at roughly qwerty speed. Never officially speed-tested,though.

I didn't need to print the layout, I just switched around my IBM Model M keycaps:
    Colemak Model M
    ...And started typing.

I set Colemak as my only keyboard layout both on my Windows 10 and Void Linux, and finally I can say I find typing a pleasure.

you are back at speed in 4 days? wow. I have been at this for a while now and still am at 20 WPM. #jealous

RykerHaun said:

you are back at speed in 4 days? wow. I have been at this for a while now and still am at 20 WPM. #jealous

Perhaps OPs original QWERTY speed was not extremely fast?  I bet it's also easy to learn a new layout if you do it young:  5 yrs old @ Win 95  ...   #alsojealous

For brackets { } ( ) [ ] you might want to consider still having them on AltGr, put on easier keys.  For example, mine are on AltGr-T/N/S/E etc which are very easy to type.

Last edited by stevep99 (30-Jul-2015 09:46:15)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

That keyboard... <3

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

stevep99 said:

Perhaps OPs original QWERTY speed was not extremely fast?  I bet it's also easy to learn a new layout if you do it young:  5 yrs old @ Win 95  ...   #alsojealous

This. I've been typing using only index fingers since I was a kid. I never learned how to touch type on qwerty, and typed with 2 fingers.
    Thank god I switched. Should've started using colemak years ago.

DreymaR said:

That keyboard... <3

I love her :)

Last edited by TheGatorade (31-Jul-2015 13:53:58)

May I ask what was the initial problem with the Dvorak layout? Why did you fail on it? Was it because it was vastly different from QWERTY?

stevep99 said:
    RykerHaun said:

For brackets { } ( ) [ ] you might want to consider still having them on AltGr, put on easier keys.  For example, mine are on AltGr-T/N/S/E etc which are very easy to type.

I found your ideas good! Oh Thanks for sharing this one! XD ... Oh! I love seeing the keyboard.. reminds me of my childhood times! :)

Here is the best place to buy legal steroids check this out.