• You are not logged in.

My Cold Turkey Transition

• Started by Salt Peanuts
    • 6 Replies:

* I've been using QWERTY for ~25 years.
    * Just started using Colemak cold turkey - this is my 4th day.  I've typed with it ~8 hours.
    * Cold Turkey with some practice using learncolemak.com
    * Using Windows and OS X.
    * I was typing at 90WPM in QWERTY, with a peak of 120WPM.

Currently averaging miserable 14WPM on TypeRacer.

The whole process is bit of a mess since I'm using a split spacebar keyboard w/ backspace on right space bar at work while starting with Kinesis Advantage2 at home next week.

I would recommend http://www.typingstudy.com/ They have Colemak and typing lessons quite intensive.
    What motivated you to switch after 25 years?

Welcome, and best of luck! :-)

Check out my sig topics if you haven't, so you're aware of your options.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Salt Peanuts said:

Currently averaging miserable 14WPM on TypeRacer.

Yes, I remember that.  Console yourself with thoughts of many comfortable years of typing ahead. No pain, no gain!

Salt Peanuts said:

The whole process is bit of a mess since I'm using a split spacebar keyboard w/ backspace on right space bar at work while starting with Kinesis Advantage2 at home next week.

Split spacebars are the best! Even better (I think) is to have map of them as a more useful modifier, e.g. shift. But since you will be moving to a Kinesis Advantage2, you will have thumb keys galore anyway.

Last edited by stevep99 (08-Sep-2016 13:18:41)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

ckofy said:

I would recommend http://www.typingstudy.com/ They have Colemak and typing lessons quite intensive.
    What motivated you to switch after 25 years?

Thanks for the info - I've signed up for it.  I've been meaning to correct few bad typing habits and decided to move away from QWERTY while I'm at it to help with hand/finger pains from typing.

stevep99 said:

Split spacebars are the best! Even better (I think) is to have map of them as a more useful modifier, e.g. shift. But since you will be moving to a Kinesis Advantage2, you will have thumb keys galore anyway.

I love split spacebars.  My work keyboard is Matias Ergo Pro, which lets me switch either side to backspace.  I'm somewhat limited in what I can do with/to the work Mac (I'm surprised Colemak is still in there every time I log in) so no key remapping at this time without getting another Kinesis Advantage2 or fully programmable board with split spacebars.

You don't have to type 14 WPM, just saying. Instead of cold turkey, there are other, non-14WPM-causing options... ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Salt Peanuts said:

My work keyboard is Matias Ergo Pro, which lets me switch either side to backspace.

Ha, what a coincidence, that's exactly what I'm typing on right now :P  It's a shame it doesn't allow built-in remapping to something other than backspace, but of course you can still remap to whatever you want using software, which is what I do.

Anyway, good luck with the transition.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.