• You are not logged in.

Chorded Colemak

• Started by ckofy
    • 7 Replies:

Have you seen that?
    I've tried their iPad tutorial and I liked it very much. Looking to the post date of 4 years ago I may guess that the chordmak is not much developed.
    Is ASETNIOP used at some extent?

Colemak keyboard tutorial

Last edited by ckofy (28-Aug-2016 07:01:11)

Found this old topic
    I'm just too late to the show... (typed that using Chordmak via asetniop extension in Chrome).

Last edited by ckofy (29-Aug-2016 04:33:29)

Didn't try it out, and haven't heard from it in a good while. Let us know if it seems good! :-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Let me post some of my opinions regarding the asetniop.
    Yes, it seems good. I really like the idea, I really like the implementation.
    I was able to use the asetniop (its chordmak version of cause) after just 30 minutes training.
    The usage might be limited to no-keyboard devices and the learning curve might be steep enough. The design assuming that the user knows touch-typing, which is not true for the majority of users. Which is why some chorded keyboard implementation based not on letters frequency, but on "familiar" alphabetical order may have its followers. (I'm talking about the gkos keyboard).
    The asetniop is really about the home row. Two fingers chords have some freedom of assignment. In that perspective, the chordmak looks really better than the asetniop itself (what's the excuse for the "p" in home row, no better candidate оr the sonorous name?). Chordvak looks better, because "u" is replaced with "i".
    Design of two-fingers chords in chordmak uses the principle "the closer to asetniop - the better". It is really possible to follow that principle, because many letters in colemak keep the same finger as in qwerty. IMO, there are some not so good decisions because of that rule. "M" is assigned to right index - right pinkie as in asetniop, while "L" is not so comfortable right index - left middle, I would swap them. "B" occupied the prime two-index chord, I would assign it to something more deserving. The worst chord is the middle - pinkie, the two of them are used for "X" and "K", both are out of their anchor fingers. "X" seems ok, but "K" could probably be positioned better. The second layer (numbers, symbols) looks underdeveloped in the symbols part.
    Then, three-or-more fingers chords allows to enter entire common words, and that feature is very appealing. It looks more valuable for me than prediction feature pushed by the asetniop author. (I was never been a fan of autocomplete/autocorrect).

Overall, the asetniop is really deserves attention, I see its ideal usage as chording glove or remote control with just 10 buttons been able to enter full text.
    Touchscreen usage has a great potential, keeping in mind that no buttons need to be displayed and user will be able to use the asetniop in this mode comfortably after some practice. It is pity that the real usage of the system is limited to the demonstration page on website and  the clumsy Chrome extension which has tons of problems.

Would you say that the touch screen potential of chorded keyboarding is great? For hand-held devices you can't keep eight fingers on the screen and MessagEase or similar methods seem more powerful and flexible for these. For non-held devices, I'd use something with proper keys like a TextBlade – which has next to no learning curve (see my sig topics).

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Sep-2016 10:48:46)

When I told about touchscreen I had iPad Pro in my mind :) Problem with TextBlade or other physical keyboard that you need to have it. MessagEase is good but hard to use with two thumbs.
    For hand-held devices I see that combining the asetniop principle and gkos buttons layout designed for two thumbs may be useful, while two thumbs entry kills these three or more fingers chords of asetniop to enter entire words.

True about having to buy the TextBlade. But if I were to type much on a device, I'd fork out instead of hurting my fingers. ;-)

MessagEase is very easy to use with two thumbs if you set it up right. That's how I always use it. It's my preferred typing strategy for dual-thumb typing.