• You are not logged in.

Polish characters missing on MacBook Pro

• Started by moskit
    • 4 Replies:

Hello,

Some time ago I shifted from PC to Mac. After some investigation I found out how to invoke local characters - just tap longer a letter and special window will pop up where I can choose my specific character. It's not the best solution, but as it's how Apple designed it let it be. I loved PC way of invoking any character with keyboard shortcuts :)

I noticed that there is one polish vovel  - a with comma. Please check screenshots. That letter is present when using polish layout. Also e with comma - very similar - is there as well.

polish a with missing comma

polish a with comma position 1

polish e with comma position 7

For sure letter should finds it place with other exceptions :)
    It would be so great to have shortcuts on mac as well. I couldn't find a way to invoke them. Is it even possible?
    Last but not least. Is there a way to reorder my local characters order that Polish are always displayed on first position?

Mateusz

Last edited by moskit (24-Nov-2016 15:52:13)

Firstly, I've designed a Polish Colemak layout called "Colemak[eD]-Pl" (see my locale layout topic). However, it isn't implemented techically for Mac. Yet.

Secondly, from my sig topics you can find a Mac implementation (or two) of some of my stuff. Maybe you could edit one of those files to make the Polish Colemak?

Thirdly, if you're using the standard Colemak installer then it should come with the international glyphs as described on the Colemak Multilingual page. However, that way to get those vowels isn't very practical.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Nov-2016 10:51:50)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks!

I don't know why I didn't receive any notification for your answer.
    What do you mean by "sig topics"? I will browse forum in case there is anything.
    I didn't use official installer. That version of Colemak was already provided with my Macbook Pro. Currently I am using El Captain.

I will let you know if I find something.

In my signature ("sig") there are several links to my big posts. These have further links in them.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Using my Keyboard Layout Files Creator, I converted the Polish Colemak in XKB to a Keylayout file.

By executing

klfc "/usr/share/X11/xkb/pl(colemak)" --keylayout pl-colemak

I got this Keylayout file. You may want to edit the JSON file and regenerate the Keylayout file to adopt to layout to your preferences.

By copying pl-colemak.keylayout to "~/Library/Keyboard Layouts" and logging out and in, the layout should be available as input source.

Create advanced keyboard layouts in various formats using my Keyboard Layout Files Creator!