• You are not logged in.

Nasty Colemak Words

• Started by bph
  • 28 Replies:

As a counterpoint to the favourite words thread, how about some nasty ones?

My nasty colemak word of the day is:

razor

oooh - its a nasty little one..

I hit z with my ring finger, so it's not that bad (though not a good word by any means).  If I didn't, though, "Azazel" would sure give a run for my money.

Aside from the a/z stuff, the dictionary words with same-finger substrings of length 4 or more are: "queue" (+ variations) and "Houyhnhnm", according to this recipe.

The most awkward I've noticed while practicing are one-handed row-jumping words.  The one that comes to mind is "mummy".

i use the wide angle mods so the z has to be the left pinky for me

fortunately i never type houyhnhnm but if i did i wouldn't be swift, that's for sure

My least favorite words are the "dg" and "ue" combination, which fortunately doesn't happen that often, and any of the all left handed common words.

"Judged", "Edged", "Queue", "Start", "Stats"

lalop said:

I hit z with my ring finger, so it's not that bad (though not a good word by any means).  If I didn't, though, "Azazel" would sure give a run for my money.

Aside from the a/z stuff, the dictionary words with same-finger substrings of length 4 or more are: "queue" (+ variations) and "Houyhnhnm", according to this recipe.

The most awkward I've noticed while practicing are one-handed row-jumping words.  The one that comes to mind is "mummy".

Still much better than "mummy" on Qwerty, though.

doesn't, environment, economic

I am left handed, so some words involving only right hand are problematic for me

minimum, immune, ukulele, molehill, keyhole.

I happen to be left handed too, but still, minimum is quite a bit easier to type on Colemak than it is on QWERTY. I think it requires something like 6 home row jumps on QWERTY, a jump for every letter. It's a common word I mistype on QWERTY.

Last edited by cartman-2000 (28-Jul-2014 19:19:41)

All this talk of lefthandedness brought my mind to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zvffHu_wo

;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Actually, I tend to be a cross-dominate person, left handed writer(and in some other things.), but right handed for a lot other things. I use a right handed keyboard and mouse setup. for single handed words, I tend to find left handed ones a little bit easier.

I do the same thing as lalop does with z, it's rather hard to hit zxc with the fingers you are supposed to use, so I use ring finger for z, middle for x and index for c, it makes for typing the word zigzag a bit easier. It gets rid of the az/za bigram, not sure if you'd run into others though doing that though.

Last edited by cartman-2000 (28-Jul-2014 21:59:49)

hallelujah

is an horrendous word to type - probably no matter what the layout!

i would go so far as to say it is impossible to type quickly - you need to slow to a snails pace to have the faintest chance of typing it correctly

That's pretty bad on your right index finger. As for the j, it probably depends on how hard it is for you to hit that key, for me anyways it's pretty easy to reach, easier than the b key.

Found a multi-layout nasty: "crabgrass", more specially the "bg", has an annoying same-finger row-jump in Colemak, Dvorak, Asset, and QGMLWB.  On QWERTY, Workman, Norman, it's still a same-finger row-change.  (Capewell, Klausler seem to have dodged this bullet.)

Fortunately, the overall frequency of bg/gb is 0.00%, a rounding error, which is likely why all these optimized layouts allow them to be placed like that in the first place.

Other words with "gb" and "bg":

grep -iE '^.*bg.*$' /usr/share/dict/british-english
hobgoblin
subgroup

grep -iE '^.*gb.*$' /usr/share/dict/british-english
Ogbomosho
bugbear
eggbeater
fogbound
herringbone
hummingbird
logbook
longboat
mockingbird
rugby
songbird
springboard
strongbox
tugboat

(plurals omitted)

I took my logbook from my strongbox and noted that eggbeaten crabgrass with dog bones is a good springboard for fogbound, tugboating of longboats.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

stars is initially quite nasty, then quite easy.. you have to trust the left hand to get on with it

Interesting: Using the D>B>G mod I find the 'gb' bigram quite easy. 'bg' is acceptable. (That corresponds to 'dg'/'gd' in normal Colemak.) It does take alternative fingering of course; I'm using the middle finger for the B on the top row.

Well, some bigrams have to be horrible of course. Good thing it's a rare one then!

Contrary to popular belief, contrary is a nasty little colemak word - its the 'rar' what does it.. especially after the 't'

Oh yes. Bad bad word. And I have no alternative fingering suggestions for it, that's how evil it is.

i'm slightly disappointed no-one commented on my subtle yet brilliant play on words in comment 17 Jun 2014

Last edited by bph (25-Jan-2017 12:20:16)

Clicking on the comment date lets you copy its URL. Please add a link to the above post so I can find your subtle yet brilliant play on words?

bph said:

i'm slightly disappointed no-one commented on my subtle yet brilliant play on words in comment 17 Jun 2014

OK, I'll comment on it, if it Lilliputs you out of your misery.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

bph said:

Fortunately i never type houyhnhnm but if i did i wouldn't be swift, that's for sure

Oh, that's brilliant. It went way over my head, like a Brobdingnagian.

thanks guys - that means a lot.. in your own ways, you're brilliant too..

Last edited by bph (26-Jan-2017 12:55:38)

Gee, I wonder why so many alt-layout peeps are such gigantic geekazoids... ;-)

Today's peek at Amphetype (in which I've lately typed a book about Greco-Roman mythology) showed me that I ought to be typing this more often:

They that were called under & into Hera/Zeus' order, have this beautiful form from their king/wife gods – with which their being became overly beautiful.

A truly divine typing task. :-)

(Really, that is my Amphetype's list of "most damaging" words – rearranged but complete. Haha!)

*buckles up*

They that were called under & into Hera/Zeus' order, have this beautiful form from their king/wife gods – with which their being became overly beautiful.
They that were called...

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Jan-2017 16:05:52)