• You are not logged in.

A more comfortable way to type.

• Started by sorenk
    • 4 Replies:

I found that if I move the bottom-left-pinky key (Colemak Z) to the top row, shifting the top-left-hand row one key inward,
    And move a top-left-index key (Colemak P) to the bottom row, shifting the bottom-left-hand row one key out,
    Then I can type more comfortably because my left hand slants inside in line with my wrist instead of out.

Z Q/W/F/G 
     A/R/S/T D
     /X/C/V P B
    Instead of:
    Q\W\F\P G
     A\R\S\T D
      Z\X\C\V B

It only took three days to get comfortable with it.

What are your thoughts?

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)

• Shai
    • Administrator

* It moves more keys than the Colemak layout.
    * At least in some keyboards, pressing Ctrl and Alt becomes very uncomfortable to type.
    * Typing the key in the B position also becomes uncomfortable.
    * If you switch to a straight-key keyboard (e.g. TypeMatrix, Maltron, Datadesk Smartboard, Kinesis) you'll have to relearn typing.
    * The index finger now needs to type 7 letters, which means more load and more same-finger.

The layout that was suggested beforehand makes more sense to me, although I still think that most users would be better off with the standard Colemak

Q/W/F/P G
     A/R/S/T D
       X/C/V B Z
    Shai said:

* It moves more keys than the Colemak layout.

Colemak moves more than two keys.

Shai said:

* At least in some keyboards, pressing Ctrl and Alt becomes very uncomfortable to type.

Do you mean only Control-z?

Shai said:

Only because B stays where it started.

Shai said:

* If you switch to a straight-key keyboard (e.g. TypeMatrix, Maltron, Datadesk Smartboard, Kinesis) you'll have to relearn typing.

This is better (smaller footprint more ergonomic) than straight and works perfectly on hexagonal keyboards (true I haven't see a perfect hex layout but the standard is close enough). And it requires no additional hardware just like Colemak :)

Shai said:

* The index finger now needs to type 7 letters, which means more load and more same-finger.

I count six.

Shai said:

The layout that was suggested beforehand makes more sense to me, although I still think that most users would be better off with the standard Colemak

Q/W/F/P G
     A/R/S/T D
       X/C/V B Z

The above still leave the left hand at an awkward angle.

And only two keys need to be memorized, the rest are accommodated by using the same comfortable inward slant that the right hand is benefits from on a standard keyboard.

Here's how it works finger by finger:

Left pinky goes from:
    q
     a 
      z

to:
    z q
     a
    (it no longer touches the bottom row unless you leave shift in the old position)

Left ring goes from:
    w
     r
      x

to:
      w
     r
    x

Left mid from:
    f
     s
      c

to:
      f
     s
    c

and Left index from:
      p g
     t d
    v b

to:
    g
     t d
      v p b

The index finger still has six keys but only one on top, I moved the p instead of g because it's used less and I left the b where it was for the same reason).
    This change turns a standard keyboard into something more comfortable than most ergo-boards. I think this is because most ergo-boarts leave the stager as is. And with out altering the stagger as I did above, the left hand will always be at an awkward angle in comparison to the left side.

Last edited by sorenk (05-Aug-2007 15:46:57)

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Shai said:

My finger positions is (similar to A4tech's A-Shape idea):

finger-positions.png

It is wrong? (Except B and 6 is a little uncomfortable. )

Sorry my english.

Portable Keyboard Layout with Colemak support
    http://pkl.sourceforge.net/

Move ZXCVB one step to the left if you have that extra key inbetween Z and left Shift (VK_102). This will make the B comfortable while allowing the fingers on the left hand to cover the keys they're taught to in standard typing lessons (QAZ, WRX, FSC, PTVGDB).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***